Sonic won't support POTS service over existing copper wires?

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by skysnolimit » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 am
What I am posting now seems relevant to these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6897
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6975

AT&T has arbitrarily chosen to stop opening new DSL accounts in the area of Martinez where I live. Most people here have the AT&T DSL home phone and Internet package because it is the only available option; yet AT&T refuses to open any new accounts like those because they are phasing out their use of copper wires. Nor is AT&T offering any alternative Internet service; they simply say that, for people like me who want to open an account, we will not be able to get service through AT&T.

However, I was under the impression, after reading the two threads that I linked (above), that Sonic intended to continue offering AT LEAST POTS on copper wires beyond even the point when AT&T antiquated them (which is perhaps as early as next year, from reading the original post of the second thread that I linked).

Today, when I called Sonic to ask them to offer me POTS service on my home's existing copper wire, Sonic refused. They said that if AT&T would not offer new service in the area, Sonic would not--or "could not"--either. I was told that it doesn't matter that AT&T services my neighbors' grandfathered-in accounts, nor that all the wiring is already in place and was in use but two weeks ago. I was told over the phone that I cannot use the existing wiring; a new wire MUST be run from the telephone pole to my phone box (no justification or explanation given beyond that) for me to get POTS service, and thafor that we would need an AT&T technician to come out. So if AT&T refuses to start any new POTS accounts in my area for any reason at all, justified or not, then Sonic (and me) are simply out of luck.

Sonic also tried to tell me that I live too far away from the closest central office to be able to get a dial tone, but that's not true at all; I heard it strong and clear over the phone when the last account was active.

All of this troubles me for two reasons: 1) Nobody will give me phone service, despite everything being set up and ready for it!!!!!!!! and 2) I had thought that Sonic was committed to continuing to use copper wires where fiber was not ready, regardless whether other providers also offered services over those copper wires. Read the two threads that I linked to in this post for evidence of that standpoint. But, as far as I can tell from my experience over the phone today, Sonic will not actually continue services over existing copper wires beyond what AT&T is willing to offer itself.

I hope that, somewhere in my conversation with Sonic today, there was a miscommunication and Sonic will actually offer POTS landline service in my area. I am not even asking for Internet, just a phone I can depend on; all of the wires are already there.

Also, a word of advice for any following in my footsteps: IF YOU MOVE HOMES TO A HOME DEPENDENT ON COPPER WIRES, TRANSFER THE SERVICES FROM THE PRIOR RESIDENT'S NAME TO YOUR NAME WITH AT&T; DO NOT LET THE PRIOR RESIDENT CLOSE THEIR ACCOUNT, OR YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO OPEN A NEW ONE.
by skysnolimit » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am
Update:

Although my main concerns remain the same, I have an interesting update.

AT&T, although refusing to serve me broadband through the copper wires, has agreed to open a traditional landline phone for me.
Looking up my address on AT&T's website indicates that home phone is NOT available in my area. I'm sure that they would like everybody to believe that, but it is actually false; this morning, they were willing to make an appointment for a tech to come out and give me traditional landline service (crossing my fingers that this part goes smoothly, of course).
However, since AT&T's website indicates that the home phone is NOT available in my area, Sonic was consequently not willing to provide the home phone service to me. But since the service appears to actually be available to me through AT&T, maybe Sonic would reconsider as well if they had all of the proper information?

I still have a suspicion that AT&T will stop providing POTS in 2020, and, based on my communications with Sonic this morning, my concerns about whether Sonic will be able to service POTS without AT&T's cooperation remain the same.
by dane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:35 pm
Sonic can only offer POTS voice over a limited distance around each CO, so it won't be available everywhere that AT&T can offer it. If we offer our Fusion product on our website, you can buy that - if not, it won't be available.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1