Getting a lot more spam in recent weeks, some of it with no spam score headers.

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by forest » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm
The amount of email spam that reaches my inbox has more than quadrupled in the past three or four weeks. Anyone else notice this? Did Sonic change their configuration?

Sometimes the X-Spam-Status score is a little below the threshold, and sometimes there are no X-Spam header fields at all. How are some of them getting passed through with no scoring?
by gambler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:58 pm
Yes, 4 spam emails this afternoon.
by forest » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:14 pm
(double post removed)
by gtwrek » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:01 pm
Me too on the spam. Used to be I didn't have to worry at all about spam on email hosted with Sonic. Lately, however, a lot is getting through.

As I recall, one of the FAQs note that a few emails may flow through without a SpamAssassin score if the Sonic servers are "heavily loaded". Me, I'm just noticing scores that just miss the threshold Spam score. Some spam miss the threshold by a little, some a lot. I'm considering lowering my threshold to reduce the likelihood of spam reaching my inbox, but a quick look at recent scores, shows I still won't catch it all.

I do prefer other email services ability to manual tag spam to help train the algorithm. I'd use that at Sonic if it were available. I think one can go in individually, manually tweak your specific SpamAssassin config, but that was just too much for me.

Regards,
Mark
by ankh » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:45 pm
email services ability to manual tag spam to help train the algorithm.
Asked elsewhere a while back but unanswered:

When I report spam to the Spamcop service, does Spamcop eventually inform Sonic's spam filter?

I also then move the spam to Apple Mail's junk folder which apparently is educating itself over time.
by pcoad » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:46 am
I am also seeing an increase the spam that has made it past Spam-assassin or has not even been examined by Spam-assassin. I have not received a a graymail notice since 26Sep.

A little searching finds pages that can help you craft messages so that their Span-assassin score is less than 5.

Here is the signature for all of the spam I am seeing:

1. Snippet of generic email reply

2. 2-3 URLs for government or educational sites

3. Sales pitch long or short.

4. URLs for unrelated but not obviously sketchy site. (The email address matches the address of the site.)

I don't look at any of these with anything other than a text mode email client.

Sonic used to be the place where I rarely received spam.
by ankh » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:54 am
Multiple spam email coming in the last few days, all supposedly sent by a "julie.humphrey" AKA "j.mecnps@icloud.com" and all addressed to "anthony.marciano@cbs.com"

The content is always exactly this:
Discernment connotes wisdom, so in a sense, judgment and wisdom go hand in hand.I hope all of this boosts your spirituality meter to make a fair judgement.
It's my belief that these revelations were given for us to know the truth and choose the right path.
It would be much appreciated if you acknowledge and make as much effort as possible to promote public awareness of this testimony.If this bone hard truth can change at least one out of ten people,that is all that counts.
pic1.jpgUK mirror news

A trip to Hell :These are far beyond human comprehension and it doesn't take a genius to figure out the contents can't be made up by mere human being. Trust your intuition and your judgement.

unsubscribe
I have no clue why this stuff is showing up in my mailbox -- I must have gotten two dozen identical copies of it in the past few days. I'm reporting it to my Spamcop reporting address.

Repeating the earlier question -- is Sonic updating its spam filters based on reports to Spamcop?
by forest » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am
For the record, my spam level returned to (mostly) normal since I started this thread, but it has risen a bit more recently, mostly with adverts for no-contact thermometers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1