Sonic fiber or Xfinity 1 gigabit

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by robertgoldstein » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:51 am
I have Xfinity 1 Gigabit service. The cost is about the same as Sonic Fiber. I am getting almost 1 gigabit speed. What will be the advantages of switching to Sonic Fiber? Thanks
by dane » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am
Fiber has much much faster upload speed, a more consistent download speed, and fiber is more reliable than copper.

It’ll also be a bit less expensive with Sonic (check that second year Comcast price!) and the customer service here is amazing.

Oh, and Sonic supports important policy issues like net neutrality, and has been awarded best privacy practices of any internet access provider nationwide, year after year after year by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bokap@icloud.com » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 am
Download 1,124.3 Mbps
UPLOAD SPEED
45.2 Mbps
I just did Xfinity speed test. Latency is 16. Should I expect a much lower latency with Sonic Fiber. I know that Xfinity tests a high speed but sometimes real world speed seems much slower.
Right now I have Xfinity modem-router in the front of the house and in the far side of the house we have a closet with an ethernet switch that my receiver, Apple TV, and Direct TV plug into. We have an Access Point in the closet for wifi. We get around 350 mbps on wifi on far side of house. Should I expect the same or better with Sonic? Thanks
by dane » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 am
Fiber is faster than copper, so you should see better performance with Sonic than Comcast.

That said, a speed test of 1,124Mbps seems a bit suspect. Do you have a 10Gbps workstation? Most devices do 1Gbps today, so a test would generally be in the low nine hundreds.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobgoldstein » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 am
Hi Dane,
My computer and existing Xfinity router-modem is in the front of the house. On the far side of the house I have all my home theater gear that is connected via a ethernet switch. I have an acces point installed in the closet with the ethernet switch which gives me good wifi in that part of the house. When sonic fiber is installed will I need the aero or do you think the access point will be enough. I don't purchasing the Aero its just that I don't know if it is compatible with Control 4 which is the system which controls the system. Before my new system was installed I was using Luma mesh system which really boosted my wifi coverage. Unfortunately it was not compatible with Control 4 so I had to go back to using my Xfinity wifi which is much slower than the mesh system.
Thanks,
Bob
by dane » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm
The Sonic provided eero mesh system is great, so my suggestion would be to work with your installer to test it with the Comtrol4 home automation equipment and see if it works. If it does, proceed, and if not, punt to the old non-mesh access point plus the standard Sonic single-point router.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by galleybob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:57 am
Thanks Dane, I contacted my dealer and he said Control4 will not work with mesh system. Before adding Control 5 I was using a Luma Mesh system which worked well but I had to disable it because of Control4. I am pretty upset that I let them convince me to go with Contol4 instead of basic universal remote. I already have a lot of money in Control4 so it really does not make sense for me to drop it.
I read somewhere that the discounts you offer do not apply if I don't go with the Eero system. Can you tell me what I will be paying monthly without the Eero?
Thanks,
Bob
by dane » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:19 am
galleybob wrote:Thanks Dane, I contacted my dealer and he said Control4 will not work with mesh system. Before adding Control 5 I was using a Luma Mesh system which worked well but I had to disable it because of Control4. I am pretty upset that I let them convince me to go with Contol4 instead of basic universal remote. I already have a lot of money in Control4 so it really does not make sense for me to drop it.
I read somewhere that the discounts you offer do not apply if I don't go with the Eero system. Can you tell me what I will be paying monthly without the Eero?
Thanks,
Bob
You can opt for a single router and access point from Sonic, which is $9.50/mo. This allows you to retain the -$10/mo introductory price offer.

Then, behind that router you can deploy additional access points/repeaters that are not "mesh", and which would work with your Control4.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1