New Beta Webmail

General discussions and other topics.
46 posts Page 5 of 5
by virtualmike » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 pm
motet wrote:It's pretty important, I think, for instance if one wants to switch ISPs (I'm not planning to do that!).
Wouldn't it be more efficient to fire up a mail client (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, Eudora, etc.) in IMAP mode and download the messages with that? That way, the messages could be uploaded to another web mail service in IMAP mode, and/or manipulated offline.
by kgc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 am
I'll second Mike's response. Use IMAP and sync the message locally or even use an IMAP to IMAP sync tool to copy all of the mail to the new server. This would be a more straight forward solution.

As to the shell question- yes, mail is available via the shell server.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 am
RE: ARCHIVING emails as PDFs
Is this something you do frequently? Kelsey put this on the list of feature requests for the new webmail a while back. Just to be clear, would you want this to convert individual messages to a PDF format and then zip them up into an archive file along with their attachments?
John Fitzgerald
Sonic.net Technical Support

Thank you Mr. Fitzgerald for you interest and sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes I am constantly creating PDFs of emails and file them to track business correspondences. This enables me not to store everything in my Sonic email box for years to come. My email is a real source of tracking all sorts of professional and personal business matters.

Indeed, if I could convert individual messages to PDF archived with their attachment, and the file name somehow was a match between the 2 so they listed together in my directory, that would be amazing. This would be a true dream especially if I could just select multiple emails from my INBOX or other FILE folder list at once and do this in a single command.
by virtualmike » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 pm
Guest wrote:Yes I am constantly creating PDFs of emails and file them to track business correspondences. This enables me not to store everything in my Sonic email box for years to come. My email is a real source of tracking all sorts of professional and personal business matters.
Then why use webmail? If you use an email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird, etc., not only can you retain your email as long as you want, but many email programs will index the messages so that you can search on keywords and find the relevant messages.
by dane » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 am
Creating PDFs of emails seems like a very labor-intensive process. Why? Just keep the emails, perhaps in an Archive folder instead..?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lkenney » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:50 am
Hi
You ask about why someone would want to make PDFs of emails rather than just archive in a standard email program.

I too like to print emails as PDFs. I

work on many different professional projects and personal business matters. I have a file for each projects. For each project I always have a sub-file with correspondences, including emails, as well as other folders related to the project. Then at the end of the project, everything related to that project, including emails, drawings, meeting notes, etc. are all archived together under the name of the project. The same goes for personal business. If emails are related to communicating to my accountant about tax issues for the year, I put any emails related to that year in folders that are filed with the tax documents for that particular year. That way all business matters related to that are in one place and if I need to retrace all matters for that tax year it is all there.

With that in mind, how do you suggest someone create PDFs from webmail (or other mail program - I use a Mac) in a batch process type of manner either by date range or email address of correspondence or subject, depending on need. I found that it did not work in the Mac default Mail program, in spite of claims and instructions on the internet. Perhaps it was failure on my part but I was disappointed.

Also I am confused as to how to eliminate it off the Sonic webmail once I have downloaded and confirmed I have everything, when I have access to webmail from both my computer and phone. Not sure how the "loop" works exactly. If I delete using webmail in my computer, does my phone put it back there. Super confusing and a diagram would help more than a written description as it never seems to make sense to me in "computer expert talk" that I seem to encounter often in these blogs.

(By the way, the computer code deal is super difficult to read. Each one had a letter that I could not tell the difference between 2 or 3 possibilities and just had to choose one. I am on cryptogram #3)
46 posts Page 5 of 5