Password Changed Without Permission

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by shotgun » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm
On 2019-08-08 (Thursday) I received an E-Mail with the subject "Your Sonic.net account password has been changed". Ordinarily this would be fine if I changed the mailbox password myself. However, I did not change the password, nor did I give anyone permission to do so on my behalf. Thinking that this might me at best spam, at worse a breach of security or policy, I checked the headers and the E-Mail appears to have been sent from Sonic.

Called Tech Support the same day and they confirmed that the E-Mail was legitimate and that the password was indeed changed. Tech Support could not provide me the new password, nor could they explain a reason for the change. After checking I was told that the person that changed the password had left early for the day and that I would receive an E-Mail on Friday with the new password and an explanation.

It is now Monday evening and I have received nothing from Sonic regarding this matter, further making an already poorly handled situation worse. Sure I could change the password again, but that's completely besides the point.

Sonic, after you change someones password without their permission, don't you think it might be a good idea to let them know the new password and tell them why you made the change?
by mike.ely » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 pm
Hi there,

Sorry nobody has responded to you by now. In this particular case, your password was changed for the following reasons:
  • Your password was more than ten years old, and hashed using an insecure algorithm.
  • You have not logged in within the past year, which would have triggered an automatic rehash of your password to a current standard.
I should also point out that Sonic will never send you a password via email. You can reset your password by visiting Member Tools at https://members.sonic.net and clicking the link for "Forgot your password" at the bottom.

Again, I apologize that you did not hear back from us before now and for the misunderstanding about how your password was going to be made available to you.
Sonic Operations
2 posts Page 1 of 1