Does anyone use Windows Command Line FTP?

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am
Hi, All,

I've been using Windows command line FTP to get to Sonic.net's FTP server for a couple of years, and since last summer, I've been using the tool to get testfile.compressed.10meg to check my line's download speed.

I was last able to use it a week ago (1/15). On 1/16, I was able to connect and log in to the FTP server, but anything I do to retrieve from the server (whether to get a file or to ls the directory) fails. I get the error:
425 Unable to build data connection: Connection timed out
I can get files by using FileZilla or FTP through IE. However, neither of those give me the transfer stats I would like to see to calculate my line's throughput.

FTP suddenly quit working on three Windows boxes that I use (one Win 7 Pro and two XP Pro). According to my logs, no Windows Updates were done on that day. I've tried disabling Windows Firewall and anti-virus, but this doesn't change the result.

It's not just Sonic.net's FTP server--I tried accessing a customer's FTP site and encountered the same problem.

OTOH, when I first encountered this issue, I contacted Sonic.net support, who indicated that they can download and list with no problem. They said the first time they tried, they got a Windows Firewall prompt, but once they allowed it, it worked fine. In my case, even with Windows Firewall disabled, I can't retrieve from the FTP server.

Is anyone else having trouble?

FWIW, here's the session transcript:
[C:\temp]ftp ftp.sonic.net
Connected to ftp.sonic.net.
220 ::ffff:76.191.251.13 FTP server ready
User (ftp.sonic.net:(none)): <mylogin>
331 Password required for <mylogin>
Password:
230 User <mylogin> logged in
ftp> cd /pub
250 CWD command successful
ftp> get testfile.compressed.10meg
200 PORT command successful
425 Unable to build data connection: Connection timed out
Thanks for any advice. ...cheers!
by wa2ibm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 am
Dunno Mike, it worked for me. Win 7/64 here.
by Guest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 am
Does your ftp client support passive mode?
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 pm
Guest wrote:Does your ftp client support passive mode?
Good question. It's the stock ftp client built into Windows 7 and XP.

I asked The Google, and the answer is "yes." Use the quote pasv command to enter passive mode.

However, that doesn't change the behavior. I'm still getting the 425 error.

The weirdest thing is this occurred on 1/15, for three different computers. No Windows updates were applied then. I didn't change any settings on my router. I also had one of the computers at work, so I connected to Sonic.net VPN and tried from there, and it still failed.

Hmmm... that makes me wonder what if I start VPN on my home computer. That might reveal any problems with the router.

SUCCESS!

It looks like something changed on the router (a Netgear WGR614v9). I poked around its settings, and "NAT Filtering" had changed from "Open" to "Secured." When I changed it back to "Open," I was able to use command-line FTP again to use ls and get.

I have no idea how the setting got changed, because I certainly did not do that (and my spouse doesn't know how). In any event, it's solved.
by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm
virtualmike wrote:
Guest wrote:Does your ftp client support passive mode?
Good question. It's the stock ftp client built into Windows 7 and XP.

I asked The Google, and the answer is "yes." Use the quote pasv command to enter passive mode.

However, that doesn't change the behavior. I'm still getting the 425 error.
I realize it's moot now -- you've worked around the problem by (re-)changing your firewall settings --
but just for the record, I wouldn't expect just using quote pasv to work. That would set the
ftp server in passive mode but not your client. With a Unix ftp client, you'd use the "-p" command-
line switch when you invoked ftp, but I don't know if the Windows ftp client has something similar.
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm
Guest wrote:That would set the ftp server in passive mode but not your client.
D'oh! :oops:

Of course. Unlike a modem that can auto-switch to Annex M if properly configured, just changing the server's mode won't change the client's mode.

I can't find any command line switches (-p causes the console to blat out the syntax). status doesn't show passive mode as an option.

I don't think it's supported in the Windows client. :roll:
6 posts Page 1 of 1