Connecticut fiber ISP video,

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by droz037 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:10 pm
These guys not as great as Sonic (of course) but thought it was a great video to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8258JtwCUc
by ngufra » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:39 am
youtube showed it to me yesterday.

Interesting to see how it's passive optical networking from customer to central office.
I think they said they could go 30 miles.

I am wondering how sensitive it is to interference (if someone shines a bright flashlight into the fiber, could it blind the receiver at the CO?
Also is the light only going to the CO or is it visible with proper equipment from all the ends of the wire at other customers (can it be eavesdropped? Is it encrypted ?)
by virtualmike » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:22 pm
ngufra wrote:I am wondering how sensitive it is to interference (if someone shines a bright flashlight into the fiber, could it blind the receiver at the CO?
Wouldn't that require cutting into the sheath around the fiber? Wouldn't that likely damage the fiber?
by ngufra » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:40 am
I mean if a user disconnects the ONT and shines a light into it. Ideally it would not affect other users.
It would feel kind of like 10Base2 all over again.
by virtualmike » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:42 pm
I think the fiber carries infrared light. It would take some specialized equipment to interfere with the signals.
5 posts Page 1 of 1