House pre-wired with fiber Optical Quick Connector not connecting

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by glidemunozfamily » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm
Any advice would be appreciated.

We built a new home and pre-wired a fiber line from our server rack outside to our telco box. The thinking was that when Sonic made it to our neighborhood they would do a drop to our box. Then connect our line which was installed during framing.

The drop went well, everything is in its correct spot, but the installer couldn't connect my fiber (the one we ran to meet their line) because the Optical Quick Connector wouldn't stay on my fiber line. The white jacket/buffer coating on the Sonic fiber is 2x the size of my blue zipcord fiber line. The fiber itself is the same size, just the issue with the jacket.

Question: Any idea on what the proper Optical Quick Connector is?I have no idea how to find the right size.
by mabruce » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:55 pm
Is it the same type of fiber, I.e. single mode vs multi mode? The connectors on both sides of the coupling probably also need to match. If no to either question you probably need to add a fiber-to-fiber media converter at the drop.
by dane » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:43 pm
If it's aqua colored, that would likely be multimode fiber. That sort of fiber is generally used in short-range applications at lower speeds, we see it in legacy data centers for example. For a Fiber to the Home connection, single-mode fiber is used, which would have a yellow sheath.

For more on the differences, this article seems like a good summary: https://cleerlinefiber.com/2019/03/19/s ... ic-cables/

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1