new testdrive customer question

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by stanslysiu » Thu May 26, 2022 11:17 am
I got the testdrive installed yesterday. So far it's working ok. My rounter and switch is few years old. So the speed is not improve much vs comcast 400mbit plan. But the upload is fast. Sometime it's equal or more than the upload speed. I will try it for few weeks if it works out ok. I will dumb comcast. I still have a few questions.
1. I only need the internet plan. According to the sales person. It's $39.99/month. No tax on internet service. Is it true? I receive the welcome email said it will be $49.99 plus tax and equipment cost.after the test drive.
2. Do you charge any equipment? I use my own router and switch.
3. After the test drive. How much is my monthly payment total inclouded tax? I live in Oakland, Ca.
4. If I decided to switch to Sonic. I should wait til the end of the testdrive to sat it up or I can do it earlier and the service start right after the test drive?
Thank you!
by ngufra » Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am
It used to be that the $10 off per month for a year requires renting the equipment.
If you don't what to rent, you pay the regular price.
Some people take the rental and the discount for a year, then return the rental.

It may have changed now.
by stanslysiu » Thu May 26, 2022 4:14 pm
Also I don't need telephone service. All I need from Sonic is their ONT.
by ngufra » Thu May 26, 2022 5:02 pm
Depending on where you are (what service is available) and what you select you can choose internet only or internet and phone.
The ONT that is only ONT and ATA is loaned not rented. The router /switch/wifi is rented bundled with service plan and you can elect to not rent it which also mean you will be charged if sonic needs to come fix something and the problem is inside your house/responsibility.
by stanslysiu » Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 am
Thank you for the reply. According to the sales people. I am taking the internet only 10 gig plan for $39.99. I don't need telephone. There is no tax for data in CA. And on your post, ONT is a loaner not renter. I use my own router and switch. So I shouldn't be paying tax and rental fee. But the email I receive yesterday. It said after the 3 months test drive. I will pay $49.00 plus equipment rental and tax. I am confusing.I am in Oakland, CA. Thank you!
by ngufra » Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm
I have 1Gbps fiber and the ont is a little white box that does network and phone and the router comes as a separate unit. I believe in the 10Gbps service the ont and router is one device so you don't have the choice you have to rent it.
I may be wrong. Maybe someone on 10Gbps service can chime in.
by kyle.depasquale » Fri May 27, 2022 1:13 pm
ngufra wrote:I have 1Gbps fiber and the ont is a little white box that does network and phone and the router comes as a separate unit. I believe in the 10Gbps service the ont and router is one device so you don't have the choice you have to rent it.
I may be wrong. Maybe someone on 10Gbps service can chime in.
I have 10Gbps service - I think what you mentioned about the ont/router combo might have been true with a few early deployments, but mine is just an ONT, and I'm using my own router behind it, and not renting Sonic's eeros.
by stanslysiu » Fri May 27, 2022 2:21 pm
Thank you Kyle, According to the sales said. The 1 Gig plan have to combine with phone service. So you have to pay tax for it because phone line need tax. . But internet only is no tax in CA. I use my own router and switch. So I only need the ONT from Sonic. What city and state you are in? How much are you paying for it? Thank you!
8 posts Page 1 of 1