Option to use my own Modem/Router

General discussions and other topics.
38 posts Page 4 of 4
by rtrinh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:57 am
moops wrote:So I got hooked up this week and have separate units. A fiber to Ethernet box, mounted on the wall, then a SMART/RG Model # SR515ac router.

When I just plug in my existing ASUS router/firewall/LAN/wifi unit the connection does work, but the bandwidth dropped by a factor of 5. But, my ASUS doesn't just hang every half hour for no reason.

So, what is this SR515ac router doing that is special. The consistent hangs and drops from the SR515ac overall is making the service less desirable. Does the *router* need to be special ? It just says WAN on the port that connects to the modem.
It really doesn't need to be special. You just need a newish router from the past few years to get the full gigabit WAN to LAN speeds.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/c ... lan-tcp/35
by moops » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am
I see. yes. the WAN port looks like my old WAN port, and things work. I'm pretty sure my router is capable of high rates though as my cable rate through this router was 5x higher. With my ASUS router getting the bandwidth downgrade, and the SR515ac getting the high drop-out rate I'm a bit grumpy. Perhaps there are settings in the newer SR515ac that can make the connection more reliable. The installer did not leave a manual for my new router.
by rtrinh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 pm
by llopezot » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:32 am
We pay $90. per month for wifi and a landline. These charges are included in our bill:

Fusion IP Broadband Modem Rental - SIID 1032289-1, Device ID 106405: $9.50

ATA Rental - STI-0145479-7, Device ID 103204: $6.50

Zip Code: 94306 might influence price?

Curious,
Linda
by wassall » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:11 pm
Sure, you can use your own modem/router, but Dane and Sonic have gone the classic ATT route, you have to pay to rent their modem, every month, regardless if you use it or not. So the modem that probably costs them $30 bucks, costs you $78 per year. Every year.
by kgc » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:47 pm
Customers on AT&T's network on our IPBB service are unable to opt out of equipment rental - it's required for AT&T's service and beyond our control. Customers on both our copper and fiber networks are not required to maintain equipment rental. (But may be part of discount terms.)
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by artannie » Sun May 22, 2022 7:05 pm
will the BGW210 Routers that Sonic requires for FUSION work for IPv6?
by ngufra » Mon May 23, 2022 10:05 am
artannie wrote:will the BGW210 Routers that Sonic requires for FUSION work for IPv6?
Let me google it for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=BGW210+ipv6+sonic

First link reads:
The gateway is an Arris BGW210-700. Configuration has been pretty straightforward, with the only annoying glitch being the blocking of port 22. Both IPv4 and IPv6 are working well on the LAN, as well as inbound and outbound IPv4 on the WAN. After a few superficial checks it looks like outbound IPv6 is working on the WAN, too, but I haven't spent any time on that yet.
38 posts Page 4 of 4