IMAP server not always fetching email using Android client

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by tbessie » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:28 am
Hey folks/any watching support people...

I use the AquaMail Android email client to fetch my mail on my phone.

Recently, when AquaMail fetches my mail from Sonic's IMAP server, SOMETIMES it fetches no mail at all, even if there is mail to fetch. And SOMETIMES it does fetch it.

I contacted the makers of AquaMail and they weren't able to find any errors in their logs.

Soon after this, I noticed that if I logged into Sonic Webmail when I'm having this issue with AquaMail, and don't read any mail but just log in, and log off (using the web browser in my phone), and THEN fetch mail with AquaMail, it works.

The support people at AquaMail said that some mail providers have security measures that require this, but normally their client would be seeing an error message returned from the IMAP server if this were the case.

They also said that the number of IMAP folders I have - more than 42, currently - could be causing some issues with Sonic's mail server.

Anyone know what might be happening here?

- Tim
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:42 am
Hello,

I apologize for the delay in our response here. If you have multiple devices, it only takes one to have the wrong password or wrong encryption to fails after so many tries which may lock the entire account up. I can see that you called in about this back on 11/30 and it was suggested that when this happens again, to call our support team so we can review the fresh logs and look for a device not behaving here. It looks like we haven't received another call from you since that time. Hopefully this is for good reasons like it's not happening any longer. Is this the case, or would we still need to troubleshoot? We look forward to your response. Have a great day.

Kind Regards,

Jeff - CES
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by tbessie » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 pm
Hi Jeff!

The problem never went away. However, I did find that when I disabled AquaMail's setting that makes checking mailboxes more efficient, the problem stopped.

The company that owns this email client says that the original developer quit, so they don't quite know how that setting works.

I'm guessing it expects the email server to return some kind of flag to tell it which mailboxes have changed since the last check. Since I'm not an IMAP expert, I can't guess what that might be.

What does your IMAP server IT team or person think might be happening?

- Tim
3 posts Page 1 of 1