Changing wifi password is not secure...isn't that a problem?

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ezekielk » Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 pm
I want to change my wifi password to another custom encryption key, via the Gateway Settings page, but Firefox just alerted me that that page is not secure! I suspect a neighbor of hacking into my system. I live in a large apt. building with high transience, including AirBnB units. I really don't want anyone from the other side of the wall (or hallway, ceiling or floor) to watch me key in my new password. Thanks for anyone's help.
by briancw » Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 am
Hi ezekielk,

Firefox throws out an error because there is no certificate from an outside 3rd party server to make an HTTPS connection. In the case of a local connection to your modem that error is not an actual problem, that is only thrown out because a local connection cannot be https by definition and firefox is just throwing out an error that would only be a cause for concern when connecting to an outside web server.

That being said, it is a normal error to see as firefox will throw that in situations where you are navigating to a webpage and they lack encryption which is a problem, or when connecting over a local network where HTTPS is not possible and it will throw out the error but not be a problem.

In this case that error is not reason to believe you've been hacked and you can safely change your password.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by ezekielk » Wed May 05, 2021 10:18 am
Okay, I see. Thanks! Would be nice if Firefox could distinguish the difference, instead of pointlessly alarming people.
by briancw » Wed May 05, 2021 10:37 am
I completely agree. Credit where credit is due, they know how to make a warning get our attention.

Have a good one.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by ezekielk » Wed May 05, 2021 11:01 am
:)
5 posts Page 1 of 1