$11 in taxes and fees not described until the second month

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by bolliger32 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 am
I signed up for sonic gigabit a few months ago and thought I understood the somewhat complex pricing structure. $50/mo +$9.50 in equipment rental, but $10 off for the first year IF you rent the equipment. So total I was expecting $49.50/mo for the first 12 months and then $50 after that (once I return the rental equipment). This was what was quoted online and then what it looked like on my first bill (which was credited due to the $0 first month promotion). I got my second bill and it was for $60.50, with 11 in taxes and fees associated with the voice service (which I don't use but understand it's packaged). I called to ask about this and the response was that all of the taxes and fees were detailed in the billing agreement online. I figured that was probably the case, buried deep in some fine print, but that it DEFINITELY did not appear this way. This was the billing that I saw (attached). However, I even went back and looked through the billing explanation that they had linked below when you place the order and couldn't find any description of taxes and fees. Can someone show me where this is located? 22% in taxes and fees seems outrageous.

Attachments

by m.harmon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 am
The question mark (?) by the price total gives you the details you are looking for. It leads to a small pop up window

question.png
question.png (46.89 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
and then from there you can get the very specific details about the different taxes and fees as well as find out what they are currently for your area.

https://www.sonic.com/taxesfees?p=fiber#example
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by bolliger32 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 am
Thanks for pointing this out. This still seems quite misleading no? The question mark is next to the $0 total due amount and there is no indication that this question mark would detail taxes and fees. Even on that page, it contains no info about what the actual cost of those taxes and fees are. Furthermore, the $49.50 credit for the first month says (includes all taxes and fees), which leads one to believe that the $49.50 cost "includes all taxes and fees". Is there really no way to know how much the taxes and fees will be until you receive your first bill?
by bubba198 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:24 am
@bolliger32 while I absolutely agree with you on the principle of transparency this issue with the unwanted taxes related to the unwanted voice service has been discussed to death around the forums. The bottom line is that GigaPower is $90 so Sonic is still a better deal. And yes, their trucks still say $40/month so there goes nothing :)
4 posts Page 1 of 1