How to connect new Linksys RE6500 extender

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by Mike N » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:55 pm
yes, the sonic technician also tried that, with no success.
by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:38 pm
One other idea is to maybe set the IP on the extender as static to see if it will connect. Maybe something going on in the firmware with DHCP relay or obscure setting somewhere. Anyway there is another topic in the forums on this:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3200
by cylgcc2017 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 am
Hi -

How have folks done with this issue? It looks like there were posts from 2016 and early 2017.

I have almost the identical setup as described in this thread.

Gateway/router: Pace 5268ac
Extender: Linksys RE6400

Issue: Extender is unable to connect to the gateway/router to setup.
  • The exact same extender worked with my previous Comcast gateway/router before I switched over to Sonic FTTH.
  • Ths issue doesn't appear to be connecting over 802.11_ wifi but rather the DHCP and assignment of a working IP address. I say this because I can set the extender to take a static IP address (and gateway + DNS) and then see the device on the gateway/interface. Unfortunately, the extender doesn't function in the static IP setup.
  • Is Pace's firewall blocking some part of the DHCP?
  • Is Pace's router not allow a device that defaults (prior to successful DHCP assignment) to a 192.168.1.1 IP address?
  • Of course, I've updated the extender to the latest firmware and tried the factory reset.
While I understand Sonic official support doesn't want to take responsibility for supporting 3rd party devices, there's reasonable doubt that this issue stems from the Sonic provided/mandated Pace 5268ac modem. Some help would be greatly appreciated.
by Renard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 pm
The one thing many people forget about when they initially install a router or network extender is to make sure it runs the latest firmware. For instance, I had issues with my RE6500 network extender. It worked only on the 2.4 GHz band. A simple firmware upgraded fixed it. Also take some time to read the release note. You may find that your issue has been fixed.
14 posts Page 2 of 2