Dish Protection Plan Charges

Television services and online video discussion.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by rl0wen68 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am
This posting is for information only for other Sonic customers who have also obtained Dish TV service.

When I switched to Dish when signing up with Sonic, over two years ago, the price was set for a two year contract. This is standard practice in the 'cable' business for TV. Recently, after the two year period was over, I noticed that my TV bill had risen by 49% since the initial bill when the service began ($91.90/mo in December 2016 to $137.30/mo in January 2019).

Aside from reviewing my TV channel package to reduce my bill, I investigated the increase over the life of my contract. In June 2017, 6 months after the start of the contract, I discovered a $8.00/month Dish Protection Plan charge added to my bill. To date, this added up to $188.81 in charges that I did not know about, and was not informed of when they began appearing on my bill.

As I am paying a monthly rental on the set top boxes, I think the idea behind this type of service is ludicrous. I do not believe I should pay insurance fees on their equipment, and other 'benefits' they include in this monthly charge.

I just called Dish and after getting bounced to the third (or possibly fourth customer service representative, I lost count), I obtained a verbal commitment to credit $175.00 to my Dish account. Along the way, they explained that the Dish Protection Plan was in the initial contract that I would receive for free the first six months, and it would be added to my bill after that.

Another thing I found was that the ePay discount ($5/month) disappeared after the 2-yr. contract was up, so I am not getting additional discounts that were present during the contract period. I was offered to renew a 2-year contract to get back these discounts, but decided, for now, that I want the option to cancel at any time without penalty.

You can go into your online Dish account and delete, or add these services, change your TV package, etc. without calling customer service, if you so choose.
by dct » Wed May 29, 2019 12:05 pm
Thanks for reporting this, rl0wen68. I wasn't aware of the Dish Protection Plan charges, and will make sure that our sales group is also informed.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by rl0wen68 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:04 pm
I did receive the "courtesy credit" of $175 applied to my March bill. Other changes I made are:
  • Switched to a lower cost channel bundle; Top 120+ from Top 200.
    Sent back a set top box from a room I was not using
    Removed the DISH Protect Silver protection plan
My monthly bill is now down to $109.82 including taxes and fees. Still higher than when I signed up ($91.90), but a lot more reasonable.
3 posts Page 1 of 1