Bandwidth monitor - Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Television services and online video discussion.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by steveK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 pm
I have lowly DSL 15-20Mbs in Burlingame. Watching Netflix on 15 year old Sony HDTV through a second generation Roku box. I'm not paying for Netflix's 4K because I don't have the bandwidth, nor a 4K TV, nor a newer Roku. But I was watching the Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix this evening. The videography blew me away. I've never seen anything look that good on my set.

I'm wondering if there are ways to query the Pace DSL gateway to know what sort of bandwidth Netflix is delivering for that show?
by amayfield » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 am
The Pace doesn't have logs for per device bandwidth usage I'm sorry to say. It's hard to say why the clarity of image for Buster Scruggs is higher than you usually experience. It could be Netflix has introduced a new encoding / codec for their content which is allowing a better image for less bandwidth. The fact that it is a Coen brothers film may be a contributing factor as well, their films are generally aesthetically / visually impressive.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by dane » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 am
My Netflix app on the Roku has a sort of "nerd view", where it'll show the bandwidth of the stream that it's able to get.

And, at 15-20Mbps, you should have no trouble getting 4K quality video, that's plenty of bandwidth for that. There's a real perception that households need 50Mbps+ just to limp along, and that's just not the case. (I'll posit that this may be because consumers have been buying faster and faster headline speeds on Cable, which then delivers a congested experience in the evenings, or congested interconnection to the sites consumers are streaming from. YMMV.) Typical HD video uses just 4Mbps, and 4K is generally 9-12Mbps. This makes a solid and dedicated DSL line that doesn't have neighborhood evening-time usage congesting it a more consistent experience.

Another potential to consider is WiFi. If you're using WiFi to connect that TV or streaming box, I wonder about capacity there. We're now offering members a really great whole-home WiFi solution that is worth considering if the speed of the internet connection is good but usability around the home varies.

But on your HD set, you won't be getting 4K, so I'm not sure why this content would look any better than any other HD content.

Regarding the Pace, if it's a Sonic branded device try visiting http://gateway.sonic.net/ to see how fast the connection is.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1