Hulu telling me zip code changed on Gig fiber

Television services and online video discussion.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by dan4 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:44 am
I am using Hulu streaming over Sonic Gigabit Fiber. A few days ago, I got a message while using the Hulu app that my IP address and zip code have changed, and that I could only change my "home location" 5 times in one year. I did the reset, but now Hulu just told me the same thing again. Now I only have 3 more resets this year, and I'm worried that my IP address/Zip code will change again.

Does Sonic have different geolocation for different blocks of IP addresses in San Francisco? If so, can these be rectified so my apparent zip code doesn't change when my IP address changes?
by miken » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm
The geolocation would not come from Sonic. There are multiple sources out there that collect data based on services used with IP addresses and Hulu is probably using one of those to determine what zipcode your IP is likely to be used in - which is a really weird system to use because most service providers use dynamic addressing. My assumption would be that they use this to try and prevent account sharing. From some quick searching, it looks like there are other Hulu users with the same problem across multiple different providers and there is no solution from Hulu:

https://hulu.uservoice.com/forums/60254 ... e-location
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1