Connecting Roku TV to 5G network

Television services and online video discussion.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by peopleunderthestairs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 am
Trying to connect to 5G wifi but does not find the 5G version. Does not accept 5G wifi when entered as a private network.
by miken » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 am
peopleunderthestairs wrote:Trying to connect to 5G wifi but does not find the 5G version. Does not accept 5G wifi when entered as a private network.
Is your wireless adapter 5Ghz capable? Not all wireless adapters are.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by captron248 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:26 am
Are you using a dfs channel ? Don't think Roku will use them.
by thecasey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:32 pm
I just bought a TLC Roku tv and am having the same issue where it won’t see the Sonic 5g and won’t connect when I manually enter it. I know the tv supports 5g since I can see my neighbors 5g signal in the menu.
by virtualmike » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:33 pm
Some routers use the same SSID for both 2.4G and 5G, and some devices can't differentiate. I changed the name of the 5G SSID to append "_5" to the name so that devices could find it.
by captron248 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 am
When installed my Roku would not see my 5g Wifi either, had the 2.4 and 5 at the same ssid. I changed the ssid of 5g to something slightly different than the 2.4 and was able to see it.

Another potential problem is middle channels (50 through 140 ??) are shared with radar. Some devices won't use those channels at all and some will after checking to see if the frequency is clear .....I don't think the Roku will use the dfs channels. If your wap is set to one of the dfs channels don't think the Roku will see it.
by danielg4 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:40 pm
captron248 wrote:(50 through 140 ??)
50 through 144:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... Fn.2Fac.29
by thecasey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am
Wow didn’t expect such fast responses or I would have checked back earlier! My ssid had -5G on he end so that wasn’t the problem, but having the wireless channel set to auto turned out to be the problem. As Captron posted apparently Roku won’t search the 50-144 range so I set it to 157 and it showed up right away. Thanks for the tips!
by miken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 am
thecasey wrote:Wow didn’t expect such fast responses or I would have checked back earlier! My ssid had -5G on he end so that wasn’t the problem, but having the wireless channel set to auto turned out to be the problem. As Captron posted apparently Roku won’t search the 50-144 range so I set it to 157 and it showed up right away. Thanks for the tips!
Good to know, thanks for reporting back with the solution!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by ssan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 pm
I have the same issues that everyone else has mentioned on this thread but the solutions proposed don’t seem to work for me. I have changed the wireless channel to 157. I have changed the SSID for the 5G connection. I’m not sure what else to do do my Roku can find it. But it’s putting a downer on my viewing experience.
11 posts Page 1 of 2