Dish Gets Ready to Serve Up Broadband and a Giant DVR

Television services and online video discussion.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by virtualmike » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 am
According to All Things Digital.
by jenny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm
DIRECTV recently soft launched their own new DVR. They're calling it the HR34 Home Media Center, and customers can record up to 5 shows at once, has a 1 TB storage, watch recorded shows from any room in the house, and with the DIRECTV nomad, you can watch your recorded shows and movies anywhere.

More information on the HR34 Home Media Center

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/t ... c_receiver

More information on the Nomad

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/nomad

Thanks!
Jenny
Jennifer Daly

Supervisor - Billing and Order Processing Team
Sonic.net, Inc
jenny@corp.sonic.net
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:29 pm
Good to know... thanks!

Now if we can just get Dish to drop that broadband business. :mrgreen:
by dane » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:12 pm
virtualmike wrote:Good to know... thanks!

Now if we can just get Dish to drop that broadband business. :mrgreen:
The broadband is just Hughes satellite which they purchased, right?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jenny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 pm
That is my understanding from the article, that the internet service portion is some sort of Satellite service such as HughesNet or Wildblue. Especially since it specifies markets where wireline products can't be reached.

~Jenny
Jennifer Daly

Supervisor - Billing and Order Processing Team
Sonic.net, Inc
jenny@corp.sonic.net
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:46 pm
D'oh! Somehow I missed that when I read the original article (that it's for those out of wired range).

I know some satellite users who find the speed to be adequate, but the latency is annoying.
by dane » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:59 pm
It is "The broadband of last resort."
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 pm
Agreed--I think I'd prefer to use 4G before using sat!
by ankh » Fri May 11, 2012 2:12 pm
any chance Sonic could feed this?

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/DISH_ ... l_999.html

live views of Earth 24 hours per day, including passing views of the moon, Venus, and even unidentified flying objects.

DISH Network customers can experience the camera's live feed for free on Ch. 212 beginning this evening.

The DISH Earth channel content is supported by a camera installed on DISH Network's EchoStar 11 satellite - the world's first Earth-directed camera mounted on a commercial communications satellite.

Six years in the making, the DISH Earth camera offers a 30 degree x 22.4 degree field-of-view that includes fascinating live full-disk views of the planet from a distance of approximately 22,300 miles above Earth.

The regular night/day cycle, weather patterns, and seasonal changes in the western hemisphere are clearly visible via the 'eyes' of the camera, which observe objects in the visible spectrum, similar to the human eye, with a resolution of about 20 km per pixel.

"We are pleased to be able to offer, exclusively to our customers, footage from the world's only Earth-viewing live video camera on a commercial communications satellite," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming at DISH Network.

"What's more, from time to time, the DISH Earth camera is able to capture some unique images, including an unidentified flying object last August."

The DISH Earth camera was integrated onboard the EchoStar 11 spacecraft, a high powered satellite launched in 2008 to a geo-synchronous orbit at 110 degrees west longitude, which provides video service for DISH Network customers.
by dane » Fri May 11, 2012 2:21 pm
Wow, that's a neat concept! Wonder why no one has done this before!

I'd imagine it would be exclusive to their subscribers. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
11 posts Page 1 of 2