No longer available: Sonic/DISH TV bundle, with 4K Hopper 3

Television services and online video discussion.
42 posts Page 3 of 5
by mwedel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:38 pm
I suspect you can use your own DVR, but it would have to be one provided by dish, and the upfront cost of purchasing it probably doesn't it make it worthwhile since the prices seem to basically include a free/low cost unit without much additional cost.

The RSN on dish carry warriors/sharks/A's/Giants game. I think if a game is blacked out, it won't be shown, but not sure what the current blackout rules are. NFL games are carried on standard networks (CBS/FOX?) or ESPN/TBS I think - I don't think I've ever seen an NFL game on the RSN.

Dish does have something like a league pass which would give you every game in the league, but that costs a bit (every league seems to have its own package).
by grubaker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:40 pm
Can one of the super brains on this forum calculate what it would cost monthly for 2 tv's on the 120 plus deal with all the added fees (with the hopper) and does it still have a 3 year price lock? Thanks in advance.
by dane » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 pm
grubaker wrote:Can one of the super brains on this forum calculate what it would cost monthly for 2 tv's on the 120 plus deal with all the added fees (with the hopper) and does it still have a 3 year price lock? Thanks in advance.
AT120+: 54.99
Hopper DVR: $10
Joey (2nd TV): $7
Subtotal: $71.99
Sonic discount: -$10/mo
Total net: $61.99

The dish price is locked for two years. The Sonic bundle discount is for one year. :)

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:48 am
BTW, there is a new "Flex Pack" option from DISH, which allows Sonic members to create a bundle that contains exactly what they want. It's got a base set of programming that's very low cost, then add-on bundles in interest areas. For example, Kids, News, National Sports, Regional Sports, or Local channels. An overview can be found here: http://www.dish.com/flexpack/

(Note: for Sonic bundle discounting, you must order new DISH service directly from Sonic. http://sonic.com/dish to get started!)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 pm
What would it take to get just the weather channel?
Got family in Florida/Georgia/Carolinas,
the tide's coming in
and the Weather Channel just cut off viewing without some kind of prepaid television deal.

Is there a daily rate for a single channel?
by wfleish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 pm
I am an existing Dish customer. If I sign up for Sonic, can I get the discount if I sign up for a new two year agreement with Dish. I am not under contract now.
by jimstinnett » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 am
How is the Dish TV delivered? Is Dish TV still delivered by satellite, or is this service sharing my internet connection?

How much bandwidth is sacrificed when the TV is on, or when the DVR is recording?

BTW, I am SO happy with the GBit Fiber. It's the way things ought to be.
It even beats my OC3 (by a mile) from when I had access to the Marin county .edu gateway. I think I got in the 300-400 Mbps then.

Thanks!
by ankh » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:00 pm
So, "explain like I'm 75" --- since I last had a television in 1966. I missed the entire cable-tv era.

Now family members want to "watch TV" and we have Sonic fiber.

Walk me through this. My experience with Support is they assume a bit too much knowledge.

So --

Get [what hardware?] delivered or installed by Sonic, and how does the hardware connect to the Sonic fiber router?

We don't have a television. Are we able to watch whatever on our home computer, laptop, Kindle?
Or do we need to go out and buy, er, something like one of these huge color screens I see in people's houses (Samsung seems to make most of them and LG the rest), and how do we connect that.

My unanswered question just above still applies -- when the Weather Channel on the computer cuts off showing us North Carolina coastal hurricane weather, can we see it with this DISH service?
by dane » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:49 pm
It sounds to me like you are a good candidate for streaming TV. You could watch on a PC, laptop or tablet, and get access to as much or as little content as you'd like.

Streaming services are broadly in two categories: subscription video on demand (S-VOD) and over the top linear television (OTT-TV). In the VOD category are services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. And in the internet TV category, services like Sling, Vue and HuluTV.

That last one bears mentioning: Hulu is subscription video on demand. HuluTV is a package of traditional TV channels, PLUS on-demand content. YouTube has launched YouTubeTV - another naming confusion, but YouTubeTV is a bunch of traditional pay-TV channels, whereas YouTube is cat videos etc.

Given that all of these services come with a free trial, I'd suggest you give one a try, and Sling TV has a one week trial available for Sonic members at http://Sling.tv/sonic

Basically TV used to be simpler: just get Cable or Satellite, and pick how many channels you wanted.

Now, you choose a couple subscription video on demand services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, and then combine those with one streaming PayTV service such as SlingTV or YouTubeTV, where you choose how many channels you want.

Make sense?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:31 pm
Still missing some fundamentals.
Streaming questions:

Do all these allow archiving programs and viewing them at a later time?
(My inlaws set up one of their computers as a server to archive programs from some TV service, but they're too far away to lean on for help.)
Do all these allow skipping ads?
Do all these offer the weather channel for various cities around the US?
MSNBC? Which other news/opinion programs
42 posts Page 3 of 5