Fusion TV -- IPTV

Television services and online video discussion.
59 posts Page 5 of 6
by Guest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:35 pm
I do get reasonable local coverage through my antenna so paying for a stream just for that does not make any sense for me. If the service includes other channels that I could not get through any other means such as ESPN I'd be all for it, if it is reasonably priced.
by dane » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 am
Guest wrote:I do get reasonable local coverage through my antenna so paying for a stream just for that does not make any sense for me. If the service includes other channels that I could not get through any other means such as ESPN I'd be all for it, if it is reasonably priced.
For other channels, including ESPN, you can subscribe to Sling TV today. It's $20/mo, and they've got a seven day free trial. Here: https://www.sling.com/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Derekwh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:01 am
Hi Dane - Do you think the Fusion TV will be in operation soon? I really want to dump comcast and I cannot use satellite because I am in the trees. I'd rather not go back to AT&T. Is there any timetable for Fusion yet?
by epheatt » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:06 am
Hi Dane - will the IPTV offering be limited to tied to the STB for consumption (Comcast with CableCard) or will it be more like the Freebox service (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox) with the STB acting as a "router" so that VLC or similar software can access the streams locally? I currently only have limited basic with Comcast and need to use a CableCard with the HDHomeRun to stream the local channels to my computers/tablets and having the Sonic IPTV offering using RTSP within the network would mean my XBMC/Kodi clients and MythTV server could record the streams directly. Is a recording service being considered or will the streams be unencrypted so that tech savy users could record them for time shifting purposes?
by dane » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:57 pm
epheatt wrote:Hi Dane - will the IPTV offering be limited to tied to the STB for consumption (Comcast with CableCard) or will it be more like the Freebox service (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox) with the STB acting as a "router" so that VLC or similar software can access the streams locally? I currently only have limited basic with Comcast and need to use a CableCard with the HDHomeRun to stream the local channels to my computers/tablets and having the Sonic IPTV offering using RTSP within the network would mean my XBMC/Kodi clients and MythTV server could record the streams directly. Is a recording service being considered or will the streams be unencrypted so that tech savy users could record them for time shifting purposes?
A set-top-box with HDMI output will be provided. An optional DVR feature will be included, we may supply the storage, or it may be user supplied USB HDD or Flash, still TBD.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeditty » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 pm
dane wrote: A set-top-box with HDMI output will be provided. An optional DVR feature will be included, we may supply the storage, or it may be user supplied USB HDD or Flash, still TBD.
You should just get an Android TV App for this.
by grubaker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:08 pm
dane wrote: A set-top-box with HDMI output will be provided. An optional DVR feature will be included, we may supply the storage, or it may be user supplied USB HDD or Flash, still TBD.
Does this mean that are close to getting this? If so sign me up yesterday. Make me a guinea pig and run all the crazy mad scientist experiments you need to do or want on me. I want IPTV! I will upgrade my service at the same time.
by petersachs13 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:29 pm
Is there any update on IPTV service? I'd rather bundle a Sonic-provided TV package with my Fusion fiber than have to sign up for DirecTV/Dish and deal with extra equipment. I do think it's a cool option, especially with the 4K hopper... It just seems like an intermediate step given the possibilities of your fiber network.

And if we're being honest, really I'd just want CSNBay Area. Because Giants. :P
by derekwh » Fri May 13, 2016 9:08 am
Any word on when, or if, Fusion TV will be available? I am fed up with Comcast and since I live in a tree covered area Dish/Direct doesn't work for me, nor does over the air broadcasts.As others have said, we would be happy to act as a guinea pig.
by dane » Fri May 13, 2016 9:59 am
derekwh wrote:Any word on when, or if, Fusion TV will be available? I am fed up with Comcast and since I live in a tree covered area Dish/Direct doesn't work for me, nor does over the air broadcasts.As others have said, we would be happy to act as a guinea pig.
The Sonic Fusion+DISH bundle is the only offering currently available. It's a great solution and the technology is amazing, but you do need line of sight to the south-southeast sky.

Info: http://Sonic.com/dish
Dane Jasper
Sonic
59 posts Page 5 of 6