Fusion TV -- IPTV

Television services and online video discussion.
59 posts Page 4 of 6
by Derekwh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:21 pm
It is another year, what is the latest on Fusion TV? I see that Dish is offering what they call Sling TV, is this something that will be incorporated into Fusion?
by dane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:29 pm
Derekwh wrote:It is another year, what is the latest on Fusion TV? I see that Dish is offering what they call Sling TV, is this something that will be incorporated into Fusion?
No news to report on IPTV here at this time.

Dish's new over-the-top "Sling TV" offering sounds great, it's awesome to see ESPN and ESPN2 in particular available in this $20/mo package. If paired with a Hulu subscription for network shows and perhaps NetFlix or Amazon Prime, I wonder if that's enough entertainment for some households.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by alphawave7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm
dane wrote:
Derekwh wrote:It is another year, what is the latest on Fusion TV? I see that Dish is offering what they call Sling TV, is this something that will be incorporated into Fusion?
No news to report on IPTV here at this time.

Dish's new over-the-top "Sling TV" offering sounds great, it's awesome to see ESPN and ESPN2 in particular available in this $20/mo package. If paired with a Hulu subscription for network shows and perhaps NetFlix or Amazon Prime, I wonder if that's enough entertainment for some households.

Yes. I don't watch conventional TV, and haven't for 7 years now..an OG cordcutter. I was a $150 plus a month DirecTV with 2 DirecTiVo's until I moved to Sausalito and lost LOS to sats. Comcast wasn't an option, so I went Roku (back then just called the Netflix Player) and never looked back. Even at $20/mo., I have no interest in watching commercial TV...'I' would be the product being sold, and the content is low hanging fruit not worthwhile in any case. Netflix, AMZ Prime, TWIT, Youtube and dozens of special interest broadcasts/podcasts is more than enough for anyone to keep themselves both informed and entertained, on demand, and largely commercial free. Let them repackage and milk life out of that ancient dinosaur...most amusing.
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 pm
I'd still like to receive the local channels so I can see the local news. Unfortunately, an antenna in my city doesn't pick up any of the Bay Area stations, so I need some other source. With taxes, I can get the local stations for around $28/month, which consider acceptable. I'd rather give my money to Sonic than one of the cable oligopolists.
by pflacy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:06 am
Please include large capacity dvr. also Disney and nickelodeon for the kids. and a must is local channels, cnn and msnbs. science channel would be good too. and of course wifi.
by xanuser » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:41 pm
pflacy wrote:Please include large capacity dvr. also Disney and nickelodeon for the kids. and a must is local channels, cnn and msnbs. science channel would be good too. and of course wifi.
Id rather see it remain affordable, rather than expensive.
a simple web app to stream whatever TV content sonic can reasonably get us, would keep me happy.
by pflacy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:21 pm
quote="xanuser"]
pflacy wrote:Please include large capacity dvr. also Disney and nickelodeon for the kids. and a must is local channels, cnn and msnbs. science channel would be good too. and of course wifi.
a simple web app to stream whatever TV content sonic can reasonably get us, would keep me happy.[/quote]

How about both. I am looking for a good, cheaper alterative to directv.
by grubaker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:19 pm
xanuser wrote:
a simple web app to stream whatever TV content sonic can reasonably get us, would keep me happy.
I would like to see a reliable affordable service as well. If I wanted ESPN or Disney I'd rather spring for the extra $$ and get Sling TV on top of Sonic IPTV (unless Sonic is able to offer packages like that) instead of seeing a bloated service with many channels I could care less about from Sonic. I kind of like the idea of multiple services (Netflix, Sonic, Sling TV etc.) rather than being tied into one service contractually. Very excited about your future service.
by mjcunnin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:45 pm
Not sure exactly what this possible future Fusion TV product is intended to be, but my sense is that the marketplace is doing a great job of providing premium on-demand streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, HBO Now, Sling TV, etc). Not sure that Sonic needs to re-create this wheel and/or require its own set-top box.

What's NOT available, and what some current Comcast cable TV customers might want to get from Sonic, is live OTA TV. Wonder how hard/expensive it would be for Sonic to grab the OTA broadcast of the top 20 Bay Area stations, and send it out to apps on existing hardware (Roku, Apple TV, etc.).
by grubaker » Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm
I am also/still wondering about sonic's progress on at least providing local channels. Seems like this project has been in beta testing for an incredibly long time? Is it going to happen?
59 posts Page 4 of 6