Fusion TV -- IPTV

Television services and online video discussion.
59 posts Page 6 of 6
by grubaker » Tue May 17, 2016 10:19 am
Seems like the imminent roll out will never happen. Are you truly still committed to IPTV? Seems like you guys have lost your focus.
by dane » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:15 am
grubaker wrote:Seems like the imminent roll out will never happen. Are you truly still committed to IPTV? Seems like you guys have lost your focus.
Currently the focus is on optimizing and scaling fiber-to-the-home build-out. We've partnered with DISH as a television solution at the present time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Derekwh » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 am
Hi Dane - It is two years later, is there any update on the timeline for Fusion TV?
by grubaker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:39 am
Derekwh wrote:Hi Dane - It is two years later, is there any update on the timeline for Fusion TV?
At this point I think we need to consider it vapor ware.
by dane » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:54 am
grubaker wrote:
Derekwh wrote:Hi Dane - It is two years later, is there any update on the timeline for Fusion TV?
At this point I think we need to consider it vapor ware.
The television marketplace has shifted, and our plans for IPTV are on hold at this time. The launch of HBONow and SlingTV, plus the availability of +$40 DBS service all make it a questionable strategy.

Instead, we selected DISH as a television solution partner, and now offer a bundle with our services. DISH is low cost, has simple pricing that day sent change for two full years, and their technology and content approaches are both innovative. The Hopper 3 records up to sixteen shows at a time, supports 4k UltraHD, and features like auto-hop and the sling based DISH anywhere features allow subscribers an amazing amount of flexibility about how they watch.

By "+$40 DBS service", I mean that with DISH direct broadcast satellite, we can deliver to most Sonic members a full lineup TV product for $49.99, minus a $10/mo discount on their Sonic service. While satellite can deliver 4k and HDTV and allow for recording sixteen shows at once, far fewer Sonic members have adequate performance to allow for recording even three HD streams (and their Internet would slow with every stream.) With broader availability, superior technology and reasonable pricing and policies, DISH is a better solution than we could deliver ourselves.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by grubaker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm
dane wrote: By "+$40 DBS service", I mean that with DISH direct broadcast satellite, we can deliver to most Sonic members a full lineup TV product for $49.99, minus a $10/mo discount on their Sonic service. While satellite can deliver 4k and HDTV and allow for recording sixteen shows at once, far fewer Sonic members have adequate performance to allow for recording even three HD streams (and their Internet would slow with every stream.) With broader availability, superior technology and reasonable pricing and policies, DISH is a better solution than we could deliver ourselves.
I have noticed that AT&T Uverse is trying to switch everyone over to Directv. I wonder if it is because of bandwidth concerns for the very reason you mentioned above. By the way I am sad IPTV by Sonic is gone for the foreseeable future but understand the economics of your decision.
by Derekwh » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:12 am
Dish is fine if you have access to the satellites, we live in a densely wooded area which blocks the satellites. We are sick and tired of using comcast. One of the attractions of Sonic.net was the Fusion TV .
by virtualmike » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 pm
Even without Fusion TV, you still can use your Internet connection to watch TV, with Sling box, Hulu, Netflix, etc.
by danielg4 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:52 pm
Sonic already partners with Dish Network, which owns Sling TV, so it would be great if Sonic could carry Sling via multicast over the GPON, maybe through an ONT that integrates a set-top box. (Those exist.)
59 posts Page 6 of 6