Alternative to Comcast and satellite?

Television services and online video discussion.
45 posts Page 1 of 5
by wisewomn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41 pm
I live in a large apartment complex and am not allowed to have satellite TV. Has Sonic looked into another alternative to Comcast for people like me? I know there are many like me.

I like watching PBS, so hulu isn't much help.
by dane » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:44 pm
Yes, we have some projects in the works. A hint here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... 4920110805

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by deepnet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 pm
Can't wait, want to cancel my $12/month comcast super basic cable and give my money to you instead Dane!

Thanks for being the best!

:D
Devin Baskin
Owner
DeepNet Computer Consulting
IT For Your Business!
www.DeepNet.com
by wisewomn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:11 pm
Comcast offers super basic cable for $12/month?! For how long? 6 months? I've not heard of that deal.

I'm paying about $21/month for limited basic digital cable. I'd rather give it to Sonic, too.
by Lew » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:27 am
Dane

id love to have an alternative to Comcast ( trees make it impossible to get satellite) but local stations only dont cut it for me

I rarely watch the local stations- but would be interested if you included at least ESPN and ESPN2, the local Comcast sports channels and some of the news channels such as FoxNews and a few of the more popular cable channels for my wife.

Lew
by dane » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:36 am
Lew wrote:Dane

id love to have an alternative to Comcast ( trees make it impossible to get satellite) but local stations only dont cut it for me

I rarely watch the local stations- but would be interested if you included at least ESPN and ESPN2, the local Comcast sports channels and some of the news channels such as FoxNews and a few of the more popular cable channels for my wife.

Lew
I think Comcast is probably your best bet for this configuration.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by chris90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 am
An apartment complex cannot prevent you from using satellite TV. A federal law was passed years ago regarding this.

Chris
by dane » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:06 pm
chris90 wrote:An apartment complex cannot prevent you from using satellite TV. A federal law was passed years ago regarding this.

Chris
It's not quite this simple. An apartment complex must allow you to deploy a dish if there is a non-common-area place you can put it. That is, a space which is dedicated for your use, a balcony being the prime example. A roof, however, is "common" - shared - and not allowable.

So, a customer with a North-facing balcony is likely stuck - even if they had South-facing windows; they couldn't put it on the South-facing wall, as that's common, nor the roof.

For more on the topic, see: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-co ... ite-dishes

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:25 pm
dane wrote:A roof, however, is "common" - shared - and not allowable.
Sometimes a landlord will permit tenants to install a dish on the roof, in which case, the rules are moot. However, the landlord cannot be required to allow the installation for that example.
by parkerday » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 am
I've had landlords allow me to install a dish on the roof, but require I use a non-penetrating mount. I think this only works with flat roofs, but it's worth mentioning.
45 posts Page 1 of 5