Alternative to Comcast and satellite?

Television services and online video discussion.
45 posts Page 2 of 5
by bhaveshmital » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:53 pm
chris90 wrote:An apartment complex cannot prevent you from using satellite TV. A federal law was passed years ago regarding this.

Chris
my apartment complex seems to have conveniently bypassed this law by requiring a pehnomenally high liability insurance amount from dish or directv(to protect themselves from dish tv's workers working on the apartment property and getting injured) which they are not able to meet and hence my complex is not allowed to have any dish/directtv etc.
by wisewomn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:02 pm
That may be true, Chris, but there are ways for property owners to get around that law, and requiring a prohibitively large amount of liability insurance is one of them. At my complex, because of the location of my apartment, I cannot get reception for a dish.
by Guest » Fri May 04, 2012 5:00 pm
wisewomn wrote:I live in a large apartment complex and am not allowed to have satellite TV. Has Sonic looked into another alternative to Comcast for people like me? I know there are many like me.

I like watching PBS, so hulu isn't much help.
Have you looked into an indoor HDTV antenna? Here's an example from Amazon.com: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna

I used to live in an apartment complex in San Mateo, close to HW101 and the results where surprisingly great! Of course whether or not this could work for you heavily depends on a) where you live and b) what TV channels you absolutely want.

HTH,
Torsten
by ensab2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 pm
What about Internet Protocol TV (IPTV)? When will Sonic make IPTV available? I don't need 300 channels. Just give me local news, PBS, Golf, ESPN, Fox, CNN, financial news, FM radio, and a couple dozen other channels I can select from the list and it would be exactly what I want.
by dane » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:09 pm
ensab2 wrote:What about Internet Protocol TV (IPTV)? When will Sonic make IPTV available? I don't need 300 channels. Just give me local news, PBS, Golf, ESPN, Fox, CNN, financial news, FM radio, and a couple dozen other channels I can select from the list and it would be exactly what I want.
We are working on an IPTV offering, but it isn't likely to give you that degree of flexibility. Package design is rather restrictive due to content requirements.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 am
Looks like there's another game in town, beyond Sonic's pay-tv-to-streaming proposal:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/busin ... .html?_r=0
Aereo does exactly what Dane proposed: picks up local stations and streams them.

Each viewer has "it's own antenna", very similar to the service that once offered DVD streaming by using huge banks of DVD players with each player supporting just one customer at a time.
by aw » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 am
digitalbitstream wrote:Looks like there's another game in town,
Last time I saw anything about this, Fox was threatening to stop broadcasting if they're allowed to do this :lol:
by wisewomn » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am
All the more reason for doing it!
by virtualmike » Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm
As long as we move The Simpsons to another network!
by wisewomn » Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 pm
Deal!
45 posts Page 2 of 5