Alternative to Comcast and satellite?

Television services and online video discussion.
45 posts Page 4 of 5
by virtualmike » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 pm
Hmmm... the box says, "VHF/UHF."

winegard.com/flatwave reports these specs:
  • 50 mile range
  • High definition dual band VHF / UHF
  • Dimensions: 13″ x 12″
  • Weight: 0.60 lbs
  • Multi-directional
  • Embedded ultra low noise (1db) digital amplifier for the best antenna performance
  • 18.5’ mini 59 coaxial cable (attached to antenna for better quality)
  • 3’ USB power cable with 110V adapter
It's worth a try. It can always be returned if it doesn't perform.
by digitalbitstream » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 am
Looks like the retailer site I looked at was wrong, sorry.

We're definitely cursed in the bay area having stations spread on very low and very high channels:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/bay-area- ... ers/nKxss/

Keep in mind if your house is stucco, an indoor antenna might not work well. There is unfortunately no one "best" antenna for all areas and types: it takes some experimentation, or someone with experience to fiddle with options.
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm
Certainly, there are a lot of variables (just as with Fusion lines). However, I have seen a couple of reports from people who report success with the product, so it's worth a shot.
by r0b » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:32 pm
Anyone know of a company that sells and supports antenna installation with a dvr solution? I would pay for something like that, !especially! if it was a one time fee.
by frogs bark » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:34 am
TiVo Roamio Digital Video Recorder
by msandrof » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:07 am
There are two major bay area stations that broadcast in high-band VHF, KGO/ABC (rf 7, virtual 7) and KNTV/NBC (rf 12, virtual 11). So you really need an antenna that can do high-band VHF as well as UHF. The good news for someone living in Richmond is that the two major towers, sutro and san bruno st park, are within a few degrees of each other. So if you can swing a fairly directional attic or rooftop antenna, you would probably get great reception on all major channels.

I live in N. Berkeley so not far off from Richmond. I did a self-install of a rooftop antenna so I don't know of any companies that will do that for you, but they must exist. For DVRs, tivo is still the leader, but I really don't like their $15 fee and extremely crappy built-in apps. They were a technology leader years ago, but not today. You could look at simple.tv or tablo for OTA DVRs. Both have cheaper subscriptions compared to tivo but they might not be around in a few years.
by toast0 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:46 pm
r0b wrote:Anyone know of a company that sells and supports antenna installation with a dvr solution? I would pay for something like that, !especially! if it was a one time fee.
In the south bay, Dick's Antennas (yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dicks-antennas-san-jose) is very highly recommended for antenna install. I don't think he'll sell you or set up a DVR though. I think he charged me about $250 in 2009 to put up an antenna (including the antenna), and it's still working well.
by polpo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 am
I've heard good things about the Channel Master DVR+, which has no recurring fees for guide data.
http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_P ... 00gb16.htm
by wisewomn » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Does anyone know if there is antenna reception in Sonoma County, or more specifically, Petaluma? A friend says he heard that it not possible because all the airwaves (or whatever) have been removed, thereby consolidating Comcast's monopoly? What about installers?
by polpo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am
wisewomn wrote:Does anyone know if there is antenna reception in Sonoma County, or more specifically, Petaluma? A friend says he heard that it not possible because all the airwaves (or whatever) have been removed, thereby consolidating Comcast's monopoly? What about installers?
Unfortunately most of Petaluma is in the shadow of the Marin Hills for stations that broadcast from Sutro Tower and San Bruno Mountain, which accounts for most of the major networks. You'll probably be able to get KRCB (PBS) and not much else without a pretty major antenna. Put your address into http://www.tvfool.com/ to see what you can get. East of Petaluma is out of the shadow so reception is much better there.
45 posts Page 4 of 5