Alternative to Comcast and satellite?

Television services and online video discussion.
45 posts Page 3 of 5
by chris » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 am
Hi : I love sonic but miss TV since I got Sonic , AT&T will NOT let you have both over there line . PLEASE Dane there must be a way to do this . Thanks Tme is ticking
by dane » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 pm
chris wrote:Hi : I love sonic but miss TV since I got Sonic , AT&T will NOT let you have both over there line . PLEASE Dane there must be a way to do this . Thanks Tme is ticking
Get Comcast for TV only? They do a pretty good job at cable TV.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Derekwh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:48 pm
Is Sonic.net still thinking of offering TV in the Fusion package? We live in a densely forested area so satellite is not an option, and I am getting tired of Comcast's escalating costs for little more than basic cable.
by dane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm
Derekwh wrote:Is Sonic.net still thinking of offering TV in the Fusion package? We live in a densely forested area so satellite is not an option, and I am getting tired of Comcast's escalating costs for little more than basic cable.
TV service over Fusion remains a goal, but nothing concrete at this point.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm
After all the time and hassle I just went through this past week to try to restore my limited basic cable service after Comcast started encrypting all their channels, I would love to see a less expensive alternative! Unfortunately OTA antenna service is not an option at my location for the broadcast channels that I want.
by Frank » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 pm
Yeah, I'm trying out digital TV over the air in the Richmond. It works pretty well, except that KNTV NBC 11 doesn't come in. If I could just get channel 11, I could do a antenna for the rest of the TV and drop cable.

If only Aereo were available here yet!
by dane » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:36 pm
Frank wrote:Yeah, I'm trying out digital TV over the air in the Richmond. It works pretty well, except that KNTV NBC 11 doesn't come in. If I could just get channel 11, I could do a antenna for the rest of the TV and drop cable.

If only Aereo were available here yet!
Have you tried a Mohu antenna, or perhaps an outdoor one?

Aereo isn't coming to CA soon, the Supreme Court will need to decide their case before they can come into this area. They are impeded by the FilmOn ruling in the 9th District, and recently suffered a loss in the 10th as well that sees them likely at least temporarily shutting down service there.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576191 ... own-aereo/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:56 pm
Frank wrote:Yeah, I'm trying out digital TV over the air in the Richmond. It works pretty well, except that KNTV NBC 11 doesn't come in. If I could just get channel 11, I could do a antenna for the rest of the TV and drop cable.
Channel 11 was my most challenging channel, from nearby to Richmond. Head over to http://tvfool.com/
and you can get a precise compass heading. Outdoor antennas are better than indoor. Amplifiers are probably not the answer.
Local retailer Al Lasher's reports a run of customers just before the Olympics, for TV antennas: they have good choices and lots of experience with Channel 11.

I wish there was a local service company that specialized in installing and tuning TV antennas, but if there is I'm not aware of it.

important: NBC 11 is carried on radio channel 12. That's a VHF channel. Dane's suggestion of the Mohu unfortunately won't work well: the Mohu is a UHF antenna only. You'll probably need a dedicated High VHF antenna and a mixer device. Only if you have a screaming strong channel 12 signal will the wrong antenna type work adequately.
by virtualmike » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm
A friend of mine in San Jose reports good luck using a "FlatWave AMPED" by Winegard indoor amplified antenna from Costco to pick up the SF stations (2, 4, 5, 7). Perhaps it will work for the reverse direction?
by digitalbitstream » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:33 pm
The Flatwave is UHF-only, and thus poorly suited to channel 11 in fringe conditions. Any amplified antenna is questionable in the core bay area, given the high signal strength.
45 posts Page 3 of 5