Alternative to Comcast and satellite?

Television services and online video discussion.
45 posts Page 5 of 5
by wisewomn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:17 pm
Thanks for providing the link to TVfool. I put in my address and it said I should be able to get all channels (without taking into account trees, etc). So what do you mean by a major antenna? How much would it cost?

BTW, I did speak with Dick of Dick's Antennas (previously recommended on this thread) in the South Bay. Nice man, very forthcoming. He said most stations come out of SF and Sac'to and reception would be iffy in Petaluma due to hills, trees, bldgs, etc. So I'm a little surprised by the strong positive at TVfool...
by msandrof » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am
The tvfool.com report on your address should give you some idea, based on the color coding of each station, what kind of antenna you might need (simple set-top to massive/amplified aerial). For specifics about antennas, the tvfool forums are great references. Many people post their tvfool report for advice on their particular needs.
by psychicb » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:26 pm
dane wrote:Yes, we have some projects in the works. A hint here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... 4920110805

-Dane
That sounds a lot like having an indoor antenna which would become more expensive(paying a recurring fee instead of a one time fee) and without the benefits that services like CBS All Access, Hulu, etc already offer :|

If you guys come up with a TV service that would let me skip commercials and/or watch content at a later time and it costs less than the typical Comcast/Uverse fees(or maybe even if I was able to watch shows before they air on the west coast) I'd be more than happy to sign up, but if it would be a more high tech version of something that would do the same thing as an indoor antenna... :(
You can trust me, I'm The Doctor's companion's spouse's friend's sister's dealer of all the alien technology that we find left behind - BTW, bow ties are COOL :ugeek:
by Acetree33691kk4H » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 am
polpo wrote:
wisewomn wrote:Does anyone know if there is antenna reception in Sonoma County, or more specifically, Petaluma? A friend says he heard that it not possible because all the airwaves (or whatever) have been removed, thereby consolidating Comcast's monopoly? What about installers?
Unfortunately most of Petaluma is in the shadow of the Marin Hills for stations that broadcast from Sutro Tower and San Bruno Mountain, which accounts for most of the major networks. You'll probably be able to get KRCB (PBS) and not much else without a pretty major antenna. Put your address into http://www.tvfool.com/ to see what you can get. East of Petaluma is out of the shadow so reception is much better there.
by Acetree » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 am
I’ve had great results with ant in parts of Sonoma co. Other areas are dead. Our mountains are what I see as the culprit to
Most of the problems.
Over the last five years I’ve purchased the latest ant that Home Depot had in stock. With mixed results. How high you get your ant is a huge factor and proper aiming is another.
What it gets down to is a little common sense. If you live at the base of a hill or mountain that stands between you and a clear path south your going to have problems. If you have a clear shot south with a ant on your roof aimed properly you should get good results
45 posts Page 5 of 5