ESPN3

Television services and online video discussion.
82 posts Page 7 of 9
by haineux » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:17 pm
My wife is a college football fan (Gator Nation! CHOMP!) so once in a while, the game is only available on ESPN3.

So put us down in the "yes" category, but we're not SUPER upset.
by arnoldcthompson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm
Please add another vote in favor of ESPN3. What about allowing those who pay extra per month and blocking those who don't pay extra per month? I'm in for $10/month!
by trident9440 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:54 am
I want ESPN3 badly!!! This is the only thing I missed after switched from AT&T and this could be the only reason I switch back!
by nkniveton » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 am
Mr Jasper, I would love to have this, but I believe it shouldn't be added to the cost to other subscribers. I think it's definitely work about 50$ a year, and to many users like me who don't have cable would love it. But, for others who watch cable tv I believe it wouldn't be fair for them to have it added to there monthly bill.
by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:58 am
I love watching college basketball and football on ESPN3, and this is what keeps me from switching to sonic.net. I agree that only those who want it should pay for it, but I wonder how much business sonic.net loses by not offering it. Perhaps these extra customers would help offset the hefty amount ESPN charges. One idea if there isn't an easy way to determine who is using ESPN3 would be to charge all customers for it, but allow customers who claim to not watch it a refund. I would pay $5/mo for ESPN3.
by jhipps » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm
dane wrote: The idea would be to see if there were enough customers who wanted ESPN service to pre-fund the three year commitment. Don't want it? Don't contribute! If those that do we're to raise enough funds, that would cover the cost.
Any more thoughts on doing a Kickstarter for this? I'd gladly prepay $180 for three years of service. Has anything else been done to gauge potential interest?
by dane » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:40 pm
I haven't taken any steps - mostly because I'm skeptical that we'd get anywhere near the required amount of money committed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bmcdonnell » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 pm
Interesting article recently in Variety: http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/would- ... 200563396/

A brief excerpt:
A la carte would decimate the pay TV industry, resulting in loss of $70 billion in revenue, Wall Street analyst warns again
Todd Spangler
Digital Editor, New York

If pay TV providers were forced to sell channels a la carte, retail prices would skyrocket — with ESPN costing in the ballpark of $30 monthly — and the industry overall would lose half its revenue, or $70 billion, according to one Wall Street analyst.
In a statement ESPN said, “The report underscores what economic studies have said time and time again — that the cable package presents an undeniable value and the consumer would pay more and get less with a la carte.”
I understand that folks don't want to pay for services that they don't use. But this study indicates that if a la carte pricing were adopted widely it would knock out most of the options, as there are few things everyone likes, and raise the prices on all of them.
by virtualmike » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 pm
And if it's in Variety, it must be true!
by thulsa_doom » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 am
virtualmike wrote:And if it's in Variety, it must be true!
In this case I'd inclined to call in plausible. ESPN's business model revolves around squeezing money out of people that neither watch their programming nor pay for advertising. Back in 2008 ESPN cost basic cable subscribers $3.65/month whether they wanted it or not (sauce), and last year it had risen to $4.69 (sauce). So right now I'm paying ESPN nearly five dollars a month so I can watch Honey Boo Boo.

If Sonic.net were to start participating in this kind of pricing scheme to deliver sports content over our connections there's no telling what we'd be on the hook for in a few years.
82 posts Page 7 of 9