ESPN3

Television services and online video discussion.
82 posts Page 5 of 9
by naggi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm
I think it's worth a few, $5/month or $50/year.
by dane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm
naggi wrote:I think it's with a few $5/month or $50/year.
So you'd pitch in $150 for three years Sonic.net customer access to ESPN3?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:That said, let's figure out how much it would cost to provide it for a year, not a ballpark guestimate but an actual figure that can be acted upon, then set up the kickstarter, and the folks that want it can either cover the cost or hold their peace. Let the battlecry go forth: give the people what they want (if they can demonstrate they really want it).
$372,169.

That's not for a year; it's a three-year contract commitment, so we'd need to raise funds for the full duration. We could achieve this if under one in ten customers were to commit $5/mo, or $180 total for 36 months.

I wonder if there is really that much interest.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Alex » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 pm
Unless it's high definition (HD), otherwise you can get it from first row sports http://www.thefirstrow.eu/.
by dane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 pm
Alex wrote:Unless it's high definition (HD), otherwise you can get it from first row sports http://www.thefirstrow.eu/.
There's really not much of a comparison. First Row is a compilation of links to live feeds that most often do not work, and when they do the quality is really quite poor. I can't imagine First Row would satisfy a sports fan who wants to reliably watch a game.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ewilen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:21 pm
I was brought here by a Facebook post. Haven't read the whole thread but I think I've read enough to know that I wouldn't want this and would be quite disappointed if sonic.net charged me for something I wouldn't use. I am glad you mentioned mlb.tv on the first page--I think it's a great service for people who want it, and good business model.

Sorry for the vehemence but I'm actually somewhat annoyed that I even have to devote any attention to this at all.
by clydecrm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 pm
dane wrote:I'm generally against the idea of charging all customers for access to an over-the-top Internet service such as ESPN3, which only some may want. It's not cheap, and would drive up the cost of all of our services for all of our customers.
I would never use nor pay for this.
by xox » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:29 pm
No interest here, sorry. I certainly don't care if some customers pay, but I would be bummed if any fraction of my bill went toward this instead of things that benefit me.
by Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 pm
No interest in espn, even for free.
by nannigan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13 am
No interest at all, please do not make it a mandatory part of the sonic.net package.
thanks
82 posts Page 5 of 9