Giants Games ?

Television services and online video discussion.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by prentiss » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:54 pm
I do not have DirectTV or Dish or any cable. I have a Roku box and local channels. I can't seem to get CSN Bay Area on my TV and so I have not been able to watch any Giants games live - are there any cheap options through Sonic or others that would allow me to watch Giants games ? (I am not looking for a $50/month cable package).

Thanks,
by dane » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:36 pm
Maybe MLB.tv?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by adame » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm
dane wrote:Maybe MLB.tv?
That should be the solution, but MLB has some aggravating blackout restrictions. It blacks out games local to your area (to give preference to local broadcasts), meaning you can't stream Giants games through MLB.tv in Northern California, Nevada and most of Oregon, but you can everywhere else.

If you follow a local team, this means there are no a la carte options for local baseball, football or basketball. A local author wrote an excellent article on the subject and current efforts to change the status quo. The discussion about subscription vs a la carte TV options is one we've had here as well. Here's Dane's blog entry that addresses the issue.

I'm holding out hope the situation will change in the near future. Until then, I've settled for listening to the radio broadcast. Sometimes, Jon Miller's better than TV anyway.

If you do end up going with DirecTV and have Fusion or DSL through Sonic, you save $10 a month if you sign up through us. And be sure to use the Refer-A-Friend thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=845) to help out another customer.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by digitalbitstream » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 pm
"proxy". Your computer can be "in china".
by adame » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:10 am
digitalbitstream wrote:"proxy". Your computer can be "in china".
Sure, but a proxy would violate the terms of service of the product. That's not an option I recommend.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by aw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm
Not to mention - Have you ever tried to watch streaming video over an open proxy? I have. It's not pretty.
6 posts Page 1 of 1