can I get a second phone number?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:58 pm
I'm thinking of switching to Sonic Fusion from AT&T. I have an existing phone number XXX-YYYY on an existing copper line. For complicated reasons I would like to keep this phone number, but have it forwarded to another location, and have a new number assigned to the existing copper line. I'm in San Francisco but it doesn't matter to me whether the new number has an SF area code. TLDR: I want two phone numbers but just one phone line since the second number would be forwarded elsewhere.

Can Sonic do something like that? How much would it cost? Thanks.
by wa2ibm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 pm
You should have your existing number moved or permanently forwarded now, before ordering service from Sonic. AT&T does offer a service that will allow you to have a number permanently forwarded elsewhere withing having to actually be attached to a real copper pair.

I don't believe Sonic offers such a feature, so once you have Sonic transition your existing number over to Fusion, it would pretty much be stuck there.

Of course, if you ordered business class bonded service from Sonic, then you could have your existing number be one line and have a new number on the second line, then use Sonic's forwarding service to forward one of them to your remote location. This would give you double the DSL speed, and two phone lines to call out on.
by virtualmike » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 am
To keep the current number, would it work to port it to a cell phone?

If so, in the past Sonic.net has recommended having the line with that number ported over to Sonic.net, and once the process is completed and the line is working, then port the number to a cell, and have Sonic.net assign a new number to the line.
by jmunowitch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 am
You could try porting the old number to Google Voice.
by bbmak » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:14 pm
Guest wrote:I'm thinking of switching to Sonic Fusion from AT&T. I have an existing phone number XXX-YYYY on an existing copper line. For complicated reasons I would like to keep this phone number, but have it forwarded to another location, and have a new number assigned to the existing copper line. I'm in San Francisco but it doesn't matter to me whether the new number has an SF area code. TLDR: I want two phone numbers but just one phone line since the second number would be forwarded elsewhere.

Can Sonic do something like that? How much would it cost? Thanks.
I have Google voice ported with my cellphone and my home phone. Whenever, people dial my Google voice #, both of my phones are ringing. In addition, Sonic does not have a phone-in history, but Google voice has it, and it allows you to block custom phone #s. Google voice is free.
by Guest » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 pm
Hi, thanks for the responses, no I don't want to forward it to a cell phone, I want it to go to a special purpose VOIP endpoint (and I may open a separate thread for advice about that). Any idea about the name of the permanent AT&T forwarding service, and how much it costs? I'm doubtful that they'll assign a phone number permanently for free.
by sirpedro » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 pm
jmunowitch wrote:You could try porting the old number to Google Voice.
Google Voice cannot port land lines.
by toast0 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 pm
sirpedro wrote:
jmunowitch wrote:You could try porting the old number to Google Voice.
Google Voice cannot port land lines.
You can often port from landline to (prepaid) cellular, and from there to google voice. Can also port in to some of the other 'cloud' voice services, some may be able to port directly from landlines (although many require a lot more time investment than google voice)
by wa2ibm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 pm
Guest wrote: Any idea about the name of the permanent AT&T forwarding service, and how much it costs? I'm doubtful that they'll assign a phone number permanently for free.
It's called Remote Call Forwarding. Call AT&T and ask about it. And no, it's not free. You basically have to pay for the phone line, even if it's not connected to a service address. Another forum poster said it cost him about $20/month.
9 posts Page 1 of 1