New Fusion call blocking service

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
119 posts Page 7 of 12
by dane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm
Guest wrote:Hi, Dane.

I just found out about this service by reading the forum.

Turns out you folks (Sonic.net) "notified" me by sending an HTML email. My spam blocker just throws away any email with a top-level content-type of "text/html", so I never knew about it till now. I can't believe I'm the only one with this rule; it's an extremely effective way of defeating spam, much like not allowing blocked numbers to ring one's phone :-).

Something to pass along to your communications group.
All of our newsletters are sent multipart, with both a plain text and HTML component. You might want to adjust your blocking rules.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:14 am
So far your new blocking tools have reduced my junk calls tremendously, thank you!

Here's one that got through. It was a robo-call advertising an air quality system for the home.

Moss Beach CA
650-263-4931

Thanks!
Cyndi
by dane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:58 am
Thanks, we will research this one.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am
Robocall two minutes ago.
Card Services. There are no problems with your current account, it is vital that you contact us about your eligibility for lower interest rates blah blah blah.

Card Services
213-375-0057

Thanks,
Cyndi
by ravens » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 pm
Here are a couple of fresh ones for you:

MT VIEW CA
650-254-6505
--carpet cleaning
and
INCOMING CALL
360-322-6371
--mortgage modification scam

INCOMING CALL as a CID, at least, should be a dead giveaway.
by virtualmike » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 pm
ravens wrote:...INCOMING CALL as a CID, at least, should be a dead giveaway.
I suspect that's something your phone inserts if there's no name associated in the name database with a number.

The number belongs to International Telcom Ltd. - Wa, a CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier). Many CLECs do not contribute name information to the database.
by tikvah » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 am
Please please please can you block:
LSAN DA 14 CA
323-580-5520

I suspect not, since it's not a robo-call and some people may actually want the call.

It's the Church of Scientology. They call for my husband all the time. From this number today and on Nov 2nd (not sure about other times). He's not a member (his parents were when he was a child; they haven't been for decades). He and I have told them over and over again to stop calling. They refuse. I just filed my second complaint with donotcall.gov.

They've been calling him for years and they send out about a dozen mailers every week. I guess once someone is in their database, they follow them around forever. Every time we move they somehow get his new address and phone number.

The only saving grace is they don't have our cell phone numbers where we have to pay for every call (pay as you go). At least this annoyance isn't costing us money.

When you finally get individual user call blocking, this will be the first number on my list.

Anything you can do?
Thanks,
Cyndi
by ravens » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 am
virtualmike, thanks. i wondered because INCOMING CALL was one I had never seen before over the course of thousands of incoming calls, so I suspected it was an invention.
by virtualmike » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm
You're welcome. My phone displays "Unavailable" for the name if it's not sent by the switch, but I have seen other phones that display "INCOMING CALL" when no CID information is sent.
by ravens » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm
That's what my caller ID box normally displays--"UNAVAILABLE." Maybe the intent was to mimic the INCOMING CALL message some users see normally.
119 posts Page 7 of 12