New Fusion call blocking service

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
119 posts Page 4 of 12
by justeps » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:16 pm
These are ones I've seen:

EFFECTIVE TELES
TOLL FREE CALL
PACIFICTEL
CLUBMONETIZE
IND SUR GROIP [sic]
IND SUR GROUP
LFG GROUP
CUSTOMER SVC

I don't answer these, so I don't know who they're representing. I suspect a bunch of them are AT&T trying to get me to switch back (ha!).
by whotie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:20 pm
please add Trindad 707 232 0149 to your call blocking
by dane » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:26 pm
Guest wrote:From the wiki: "A blocked calling party will receive a standard "We're sorry, the number cannot be completed as dialed" error message."

Excellent! With tri-tone too?
Yes.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:32 pm
Guest wrote:Don't like unnecessary changes in service turned on by default. Is this also why the email was "mandatory?"

Very strongly prefer that new options be opt-in, along with announcements about them.
This was a challenging decision on our side. We were very careful with the list research, and it's quite conservative. Every source was researched, called by our researcher, and then reviewed by two other staff including myself. There should be no calls blocked which are not telemarketers. Collectively, we expect this list to block over one million calls per year to our customers.

The decision was made, by me in consultation with my team, to enable by default, with an email notice to every account. I believe that stopping these annoying calls is by far the most desired configuration for our customers. This is why I decided that default on would be the choice.

With other features, we go the other direction. For example anonymous caller rejection. While many customers might prefer that, a significant number would not, so it's not a default.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by James » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:19 pm
Here's one still getting through:
MT VIEW CA
264 6505
(See http://www.callercenter.com/650-254-6505.html)
by jtred » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:29 pm
I got the email about the call blocking service. But in the Voicemail Settings for my user name (above) I don't see any of the options you talk about. It has "Existing forwards and notifications", "Add new forward or notification", "Local email delivery and phone access" and "Security".
The path is Sonic Members Home, Voice, Voicemail settings.
Am I looking in the wrong place? Or maybe I don't have Fusion? (And if I don't, how did I get the email?)

John
by ppcraig » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:36 pm
fantastic! just the kind of service I expect from Sonic. I especially liked your comment that the blocked calls were specific to Sonic. Right on! Individual service. I still get too many spam calls -- but am happy to know that without Sonic there would be lots more
by Guest » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 pm
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Don't like unnecessary changes in service turned on by default. Is this also why the email was "mandatory?"

Very strongly prefer that new options be opt-in, along with announcements about them.
So some customers would rather not have to turn on said features, some customers would rather not turn off said features. No way to please everyone.
In this case, default to "on" results in an invisible loss of service, i.e., the ability to receive phone calls from certain numbers. To me, that's the wrong default.
And you could also argue that, no default "on" results in an invisible loss of fusion service features as well. Assuming you're talking about those who don't read their email or what not and don't know of the service change, in which case those same people not reading wouldn't know they have the ability to have those numbers blocked. Two sides of the same coin.

You know about it, so it's not invisible to you.
by Guest » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 pm
I got the email about the call blocking service. But in the Voicemail Settings for my user name (above) I don't see any of the options you talk about. It has "Existing forwards and notifications", "Add new forward or notification", "Local email delivery and phone access" and "Security".
The path is Sonic Members Home, Voice, Voicemail settings.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Settings are not in Voicemail.
Go to:
Sonic Members Home > Voice > (your phone number)
by dravey » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 pm
Guest wrote:Bless you! If only this had been available at the beginning of the political robo-call season.
I don't think you can legally block political calls, can you? It sounds like it would be nice, but that's tinkering with our right to free political speech, much as I hate to receive those calls.

In any case, I am REALLY grateful that you have implemented this, and I'm fine with the opt-out choice. I'm a senior citizen and require naps during the day and I've been suffering quality-of-life issues with these robocalls.
119 posts Page 4 of 12