Area Code Added to Any Outgoing Calls

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by yjjart » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm
Since last week, my sonic phone has become unable to make outgoing phone calls. I tried calling several domestic and international numbers, including my own number. Every call failed or sometimes reached strangers.
I noticed today that the phone automatically add my area code 510 to whatever phone number I dial. Therefore, it becomes 510 plus the first 7 digits I dial.
by jacob.karinen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:03 am
Checking your logs from our side I don't see the extra 510 added to outbound calls. From your side are you seeing: 510-510-867-5309? If it's an intermittent issue, then, next time it happens please give our support team a call at 855-394-0100 so we can get a log over to our netops team. We only have about 48 hours to review the logs before they're deleted from our system so please don't hesitate to elt us know. We're available 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by yjjart » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:52 pm
I don't see a number 510-867-5309 in my call history.

If you are able to check my call history. You will be able to see calls made to ***-***-***7 on 4/7 and to ***-***-***9 on 4/13.

***-***7 is the first 7 digits of my wife's cell phone number and ***-***9 is the first 7 digits of my cell phone number. In both cases, we were trying to call our own cell phone but failed.

Admin edit: removed real phone numbers from post
by virtualmike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:42 pm
Jacob was using an example number. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny

I've seen some Panasonic cordless phones that automatically will insert an area code into a dialed number. Perhaps your phone is doing the same? Do you have a different phone that's not programmable that you can try?

This is helpful in some areas, like the DC suburbs, where local calls require an area code but are dialed without an initial "1". CA requires a 1 if the call is in a different area code.

Speaking of 510, effective June 22, even if you're calling another number in the 510 area code, you will be required to dial 1 + 510 + 7D. This is because the new 341 overlay code becomes effective in July.
by jacob.karinen » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 am
Thank you @Virtualmike. I was referring the song but maybe I should've done 555-5555 for clarity's sake.

I went ahead and removed the numbers from your post because you may get spam calls from it being out in the open. What kind of phone are you using to call with? I can help look to see if there's a setting that enables the auto area code or not. I looked for those calls on those specific dates and I do see a couple 0 second calls that look like they're disconnected from origin. The next time you experience the issue please let us know right away and we can take a look into what might've happened.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by yjjart » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 pm
virtualmike wrote:Jacob was using an example number. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny

I've seen some Panasonic cordless phones that automatically will insert an area code into a dialed number. Perhaps your phone is doing the same? Do you have a different phone that's not programmable that you can try?

This is helpful in some areas, like the DC suburbs, where local calls require an area code but are dialed without an initial "1". CA requires a 1 if the call is in a different area code.

Speaking of 510, effective June 22, even if you're calling another number in the 510 area code, you will be required to dial 1 + 510 + 7D. This is because the new 341 overlay code becomes effective in July.
Thank you, virtualmike and Jacob. I do have a Panasonic cordless phones. I will see if I can find another phone.
6 posts Page 1 of 1