Voicemail forward and notification

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by sacsound1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 pm
Sorry for the noob questions, but I am one here. I've read the sonic.wiki, and searched the forums but didn't find any answers. Maybe I'm just unclear on the concept

I'm trying to decide if and how I will use voicemail on my new fusion service. I see VM delivery settings for "forward" and "notification." The notification part seems clear, but it looks like I can't send one to an email address - just sms or tweets. Or can I? I'd want to send a notification to my email at yahoo.com. Is that possible?

And the forwarding confounds me. An audio voicemail is left at my phone number, and really, can I have that forwarded to an email account? What exactly is being forwarded? An audiofile of the voicemail? In the forums I read there is no voice to text transcription yet, so I don't think it's that. Or am I wrong? What am I missing?

And in the "local email delivery" and phone access setting, I assume "local" refers to my sonic.net email address. It says default folder is "voicemail" but I don't see one when I login to my sonic.net email. So now I'm confused.

My thought is to use fusion VM as a fallback voicemail, and then be notified by email the rare times a VM shows up on the phone number. And also be able to retrieve said VM by phone.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks.
by kgc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:31 am
The local delivery option is the local mail folder that new messages are delivered to. The default is Voicemail - and the required setting if you want to be able to call in and check your messages. You don't say how you login to your sonic.net email but if you are using webmail or another IMAP client you may need to subscribe to that folder to see it. The neat thing is that all message state, including MWI on your voice line, will all stay in sync allowing for unified access if you listen to your voicemail in your email like I do most of the time.

The voicemails are actually just stored as email messages with an audio file attached - we can forward these where you please including your yahoo address. In the context of email, forwarding and notification are the same thing.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sacsound1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:08 pm
Thanks for the explanation. Based on your info I was able to get it to do what I wanted. Works like a charm!
3 posts Page 1 of 1