Text messages sent to my Fiber voice number

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by fvmany » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:39 pm
I was just upgraded from Sonic Fusion service to Sonic Fiber. Because the new service is voice over IP, I was very hopeful that I would be able to get text messages that people send to this number.

However, I just called tech support and was told there is no way to get text messages. At the same time, people who send me messages are not informed that I will not receive the messages they send me.

This is problematic -- many people send text messages to phone numbers and assume that people get them. I either want Sonic to inform people that their messages won't get through or I want to be able to access text messages sent to my Fiber VOIP number (be it via email, Sonic Mobile Communicator, or whatever).
by miken » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 pm
VoIP and cellular numbers are not the same when it comes to phone service. VoIP just means that instead of receiving telephone service over a POTS (plain old telephone service) connection that is all copper - your phone service is delivered using your Internet connection. Cellular numbers, SMS (texting) and MMS (more advanced texting) are a whole different topic. Other telephone carriers that offer phone over VoIP (like AT&T and Comcast) also don't support texting.

On the other hand, in recent years some cellular carriers like Verizon and Sprint have introduced a "text to voice" feature where if one of their users text a landline phone number, their system will convert the text into audio and call the landline and have a robotic voice recite the message. These services are entirely dependent on the cellular carrier and the features may cost extra, depending on the carrier.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by fvmany » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm
miken wrote:On the other hand, in recent years some cellular carriers like Verizon and Sprint have introduced a "text to voice" feature where if one of their users text a landline phone number, their system will convert the text into audio and call the landline and have a robotic voice recite the message. These services are entirely dependent on the cellular carrier and the features may cost extra, depending on the carrier.
I don't need to get texts. However, if I'm not going to get texts, I would really like for the people sending me texts to know I won't get them. Various people have told me that when they send to other landlines, they get messages telling them that their text message won't go through. But when they send to my Sonic landline, they do not get such a message.
by miken » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:58 pm
That's entirely reliant on the cellular carrier and is not something we have control over. For example, when I text a landline with Verizon, I get a notification I texted a landline number regardless of whether that number is with Sonic or another carrier.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by cmeisel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm
That is my experience as well (I also have verizon) but it is true that when I text the sonic number, I get no replay that this is a landline. However, if I text our work VoIP provider number and another Voip number I have, I also get none so still up to verizon when they display this and when not. there is nothing voip providers can do
5 posts Page 1 of 1