ADT compatibility in 2019

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by acarhart » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 am
I am brand new to Sonic and to VOIP - I disconnected my POTS landline when I switched to Sonic with its VOIP solution.
I knew this was a gamble because I have an ADT security system which was setup to use my landline.

Tonight I hooked up my ADT system to the ATA that came with my sonic account, and it appears that I am unable to get any communication through at all. I have read forum posts about changing the default codec setting, but it appears that this setting is no longer accessible from member tools. And the ATA itself appears to be locked down by Sonic so I can't change its settings.

When I initiate a communication test on my security system keypad, I see a toll free number being called repeatedly in my Sonic call history. But as nearly as I can tell, the communication is failing.

All previous posts on this topic were from 2015 and 2016. So I am curious if anything has changed in terms of compatibility with ADT as well as options available for sonic end users to tweak.

I know that ADT has a wireless option, as do vivint and simplysafe. I'd rather not go that route but will if I have to.

I already have the modem and ATA plugged into a UPS in case of power outage BTW

Any guidance here, especially experience that supercedes the comments from 2015, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
by dane » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 am
What's the toll-free number that's being dialed? We can check routing for that to assure it's getting a TDM path on the far side.

Also, do consider Ring or Nest security solutions. The Ring product in particular is worth a look - the monthly service fee for a monitored system is really good, and it uses WiFi for primary with cellular for backup, so no voice line issues to contend with.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by allancarhart » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 pm
Thank you, Dane. I appreciate the personal response. Rather than use a public forum to discuss my specific situation, I would encourage Sonic tech support to reach out to me privately so we can discuss the phone number that my security system is dialing and see if there's more troubleshooting to be done on that side.

I'm still curious if adjusting the preferred "codec" (mentioned in 2015/2016 forum posts on the topic) is possible now and whether that could help my issue.

As for switching to a more modern security system, yeah I get it. Trying to get ADT to work with Sonic is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. However, I would prefer to make incremental improvements. I just got a huge upgrade by moving from AT&T to Sonic :D ... I'd like the dust to settle with that before I make other changes at home. So if there is an interim solution that can get ADT working with the ATA, I'd love to see that happen.

Thanks,

Allan
by m.harmon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am
Hello!

We aren't able to assign anyone to reach out to you directly but you can set up a call back via

https://www.sonic.com/support_cba_request

This will give you a little more control of when the call happens.
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
4 posts Page 1 of 1