Phone Set up for new subscriber

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by agon123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am
Hello
We just had fiber installed this week and told the installer that we were not interested in using the phone feature--but have had a chance of heart because we've found that cell reception is inadequate (we just moved in).

The living room would the be ideal place to place the VOIP phone. However, our house is CAT6 wired so that outside data line comes into a bedroom closet where a router then feeds four CAT6 internal data lines to various rooms.

Rather than use the RG, I prefer our own router (Netgear R7000) because it's already set it up as our internal WiFi system and provides pre-defined list of DCHP addresses to various devices. I didn't want to have to fiddle with the RG rental and all of our devices to use another WiFi signal. In the closet, the R7000 routes to various rooms, including our living room which is is where a switch provides wired access to our TV, NAS, AV/Receiver, Apple TV.

Can I simply use plug this Linksys router into the switch and connect our home phone to it (there are two phone jacks)? Do I need to confirm that the installer set up the house for phone service or is that part of the data service?
https://smile.amazon.com/Linksys-Broadb ... 000KIN1DU/

Thanks in advance
by cmeisel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:51 pm
The phone line plugs directly into the ONT not your router.
2 posts Page 1 of 1