Incoming VOIP call, no ringing sound for caller

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by wresnick » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:26 am
When somebody calls my number with VOIP, I hear the phone ring fine and can answer it. But the person at the other end just hears silence until I answer. It doesn't matter how many rings I hear. Tech support had no answer and said that they'd escalate it, but I never heard back.

Does anybody know what is going on?
by wresnick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm
I contacted Tech Support about this. The rep verified that the problem exists. He was able to reproduce it with his cell phone, but not his landline. His carrier is Verizon. I verified with numerous people that it happens with T-Mobile too. It might happen with others.

Tech support emailed me and said that the problem is at Verizon's end, and I should open a ticket with them. That makes no sense for two reasons. I can't open a ticket with them if I don't have an account with them. And Verizon can't be responsible for it not working with T-Mobile and probably others.
by amayfield » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm
Apologies for the miscommunication - it would be the caller experiencing the issue that would need to open a ticket with their provider (E.G. Verizon or whomever their provider is), rather than you.

Our Network Operations team investigated the issue and confirm that we are sending out ringing messages (also known as SIP 180) to the caller's provider (Verizon in the specific case that our NOC investigated) - it is then up to the receiving party (Verizon) to generate the rings. For reasons we do not have visibility into the provider is not generating the rings, and that is why a ticket needs to be opened with the caller's provider.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. If you have any questions or need further assistance please don't hesitate to reach out.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by wresnick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm
That would require literally everybody who calls me to call their phone provider and complain that my phone in particular doesn't ring. No sane person would suggest such a thing.
by virtualmike » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 pm
In situations like this, I've often found that the vendor's Twitter support can work miracles.
by wresnick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:22 am
I found that it's not just cell phone providers. It's a problem with VOIP too. Someone calling me with Ooma had the same problem.

I have no reason to think it's not a problem with landline too. All I know is that it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I've called the number with my own cell phone and had it ring, so placing one call from a landline doesn't prove anything except that it doesn't happen 100% of the time. But I already knew that.

Sonic's "I tried it once and it worked so it's somebody else's problem" is not the way to handle a problem that doesn't always happen. When they determine that it's not a problem by claiming that their system worked properly one time, especially when they didn't even call me to test it, makes no sense.

So the vendor is Sonic. It's nonsense to say that every vendor except for Sonic has a problem but only when calling my specific number. If those other companies were all having problems, then other Sonic customers would be hearing from people who called them, since Sonic thinks that all other providers have defective equipment.
6 posts Page 1 of 1