can receive calls, but not dial

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by jeffmad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 pm
Hi,
I took the earthquake last week as a wake up call to up my emergency preparedness game.

I never bothered to hook up a landline when we started Gigabit Fiber last March. Today I plugged my old 1980s ATT Trimline, a phone that does not require battery. It took me a little while to figure out that it needed to be plugged into the ONT, not the PACE modem. OK, It rings and can receive calls and the handset works.

However, when I try to dial, it doesn't work. I can hear a dialtone, but when I try to dial 1-415-321-1234, the key presses don't register like a normal phone.

What do you think, should I try another phone, or is there some magic incantation that I am missing to make a call?
by virtualmike » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 pm
Touchtone phones from the 1980s are sensitive to line polarity. What you described sounds much like the polarity is reversed.

See if you can find or make a crossover cable (it "crosses" the two wires). Or perhaps the cable you have is already a crossover cable, and a normal cable (much more common) will work just fine.
by dherr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 am
Are you sure it is not a pulse dial phone?
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 pm
Real AT&T Trimline phones in the 1980s with buttons did not have a switch to do pulse dial. AT&T didn't sell phones with that until the 1990s.
by jeffmad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm
it isn't really from the 80s, but it sure feels like it when it is next to an iphone. I am going to have to borrow the neighbor's landline to help determine the issue. Thanks for commenting.
5 posts Page 1 of 1