Block all calls with exceptions

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by ludafisk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm
I block unwanted calls every week. It would be easier and better if I could block ALL calls and then list exceptions. I only need to allow 30 numbers or so to ring through but I have blocked at least 100 spammers and they just keep coming. I'm about ready to discontinue the land line much to my disappointment.
by sonicsf » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 am
Please block this number: 202 516-9889. Unknown caller from Washington DC did not leave a message. This is Spam, a Scam or a Robocaller. Thank you!
by rickb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm
I must receive at least 3 to 4 spam calls a day on my land line. Am on national do not call list, and call blocking here on sonic. Nothing seems to stop these calls, very frustrating, now it's starting on my cell phone...... :roll:
by sysops » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:56 pm
rickb wrote:I must receive at least 3 to 4 spam calls a day on my land line. Am on national do not call list, and call blocking here on sonic. Nothing seems to stop these calls, very frustrating, now it's starting on my cell phone...... :roll:
To be fair, I'm not sure there's much Sonic, or any other company can do here.

If the spam calls you get are anything like the ones I get on my mobile phone, these are criminals or people with malicious intent spoofing caller ID and breaking laws. These aren't legitimate organizations who obey the do-not-call list, or even sleazy telemarketing companies that are registered businesses. Since the numbers are most likely spoofed, they shouldn't be blocked in the first place and blocking them would only cause more harm than good.

It'll probably be a while before this problem is fully solved and it's easy to hold people accountable for this and track the calls all the way back to the origins.

The whitelist solution seems like the only approach for now, though I suspect only a very small number of people would actually be comfortable with such a system since you'll eventually miss an important call from your bank about fraud, or your insurance company calling from a new number, or any other million scenarios like that.
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by rickb@sonic.net » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:54 am
Thanks for the reply, it feels good to vent sometimes, even though my options are limited......sigh
by ludafisk2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm
Even if only a few people used a white list it would be helpful. When a business or other important entity changes a phone number or an address you will receive notice via snail mail or email or text.
I want Sonic to make a white list and then I put in all numbers for the people and businesses that I deal with. It may take an hour or two but I will be done with spam calls. It would take very little to create such a feature, reverse blacklist is all it is.
BAN SPAM CALLS FOREVER!
by sonicsf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 am
Please block 415 255-5386. Unknown caller did not leave a message. Suspected Scammer, Spammer, or Robocall. Thank you!
by bobaFett » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 pm
sonicsf wrote:Please block 415 255-5386. Unknown caller did not leave a message. Suspected Scammer, Spammer, or Robocall. Thank you!
sonicsf - you've posted multiple times on the correct "block this number" thread - why are you posting this here?
8 posts Page 1 of 1