Data (Probably hooking up a 3rd party analog telephone adapter)

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by bluehat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 pm
A landline came bundled with my service. I don't expect to need it much, so I figured I would mess around with BBS systems.

Unfortunately, the landline is digital and the analog telephone adapter provided with my service trims the signal to only include information in the voice and fax frequencies. This means my connections fail.

I was hoping to install and use a 3rd party analog telephone adapter and was curious if anybody has successfully done this. I would also like to know what protocol the Sonic VoIP system uses on the backend. Hopefully I can find a 3rd party analog telephone adapter which will support both protocols.

Alternatively, if anybody else has figured out something clever that works on only voice and fax frequencies, I am all ears.
by danielg4 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm
Sonic expressly prohibits any form of data over their voice lines last I checked, but the protocol the device uses is SIP, and they will not give you the SIP credentials. There is a way to get the credentials anyway, which I will not disclose here, and 3rd-party ATA's and softphones do work just fine, at least for voice. FWIW, the signal trimming is probably on the server side, but I have made no attempt to verify this.
2 posts Page 1 of 1