Warning: Small biz and caller ID

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by augustz » Thu May 25, 2017 10:26 am
I've always supported sonic, including for a while on a super long / flaky circuit for DSL.

But a warning to other small businesses.

A very common setup in small businesses is to setup call hunting over your 2 lines. If line 1 is engaged, the call rolls to line 2. The client just has one business number to call. To make this work properly, when staff dial out, caller-id on both lines needs to match the number that hunts - or endless confusion (ie, folks call on second line, which then doesn't hunt to line 1 etc).

I've never had an issue with this with other companies - both numbers are on our account, and they setup caller-id on both lines to match our main number - no confusion for anyone.

Our office manager has just been told that sonic has a policy against this. They claim it would let us fake other companies numbers (This is setting caller-id to one of our OWN numbers so I don't follow the logic - and VOIP is a much easier route to spoof from for those interested).

We've been with sonic a while. Has anyone had any luck getting around this procedure in some way? Before I flip us over (building is pretty much Comcast Business and we've been thinking about doing a voip solution) I'd like to explore some options that keep us with them.

It's kind of mind-boggling a business can't do this given how common this setup is - though my experience is mostly with larger setups so maybe sonic just doesn't have the feature range I'm used to?

Thoughts / pointers welcome!
1 post Page 1 of 1