Process to port a number out of sonic

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
by jnurthen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am
I'm preparing to move away from sonic and want to know how to port my phone number away. I have read some stories about difficulties people have had doing this. Can someone please confirm the address which should be used on the number port request. Is it my address or an address provided by sonic?
by wa2ibm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm
Just sign up with your new provider and give them the phone number you want to port. Make sure the name on your new account matches the name on your Sonic account. That should do it. When the number is ported out, Sonic will assign a new phone number to your Sonic phone service. After that happens, you'll need to call Sonic to cancel their service.

That's how it worked for me. . .

Bill
by Username » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:12 am
Found this thread with some advice on the topic. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r302488 ... from-Sonic
Good luck
by pstrasma » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 pm
Currently trying to port my number out of Sonic to Cox Communications. It has been a complete nightmare despite three 3-way calls between both technical support teams.

On the first attempt, the port request was rejected for being a "business account". The sonic.net representative stated the account was residential and Cox tried again.

On the second attempt, the port request was rejected for "incorrect address". Responding to this, the sonic.net representative advised us to submit the port request to XO Communications using the address 11 Great Oaks BL, San Fernando, CA 95119 and provided a pin to use.

Will update once I'm successful. Hopefully that won't require an FCC complaint!
by amayfield » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm
Sorry about the trouble getting your phone number ported away and for the confusion of how to get that process initiated. Most port requests do not need to involve XO but those that do have a different procedure to get the port done. Was Cox able to successfully make the port out request to XO?
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by pstrasma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:12 am
Today, Cox's porting group called to provide additional details. They advised that:
1) my number is one of several hundred registered to a single Sonic.net business account
2) Address is listed as Apollo Way, not Great Oaks BL
3) My name is not associated with the number

I have e-mailed the Sonic netops group to demand resolution of this matter by end-of-week.
by familysullivan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:55 pm
I am new to Sonic and am thinking about porting my telephone number in but reading people having problems porting their number out.
Questions:
When you joined Sonic did you port a telephone number in or did Sonic give you a telephone number?

Second based on the above question, if you had a telephone number in your name that got ported in, are you now finding porting out that it is under Sonic's name?

I seems to me that if Sonic gave you a telephone number when you started and it is under their name it would be hard to port out, but if it was a telephone number that you went into Sonic with and the name got changed to Sonic that would be a different story.
by pstrasma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 pm
I ported my long-standing residential number in which is why I find it infuriating that the number has somehow ended up as a Sonic business number held by XO. This may have something to do with being part of their expansion into the Orange County service area.
by miken » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 am
pstrasma wrote:Today, Cox's porting group called to provide additional details. They advised that:
1) my number is one of several hundred registered to a single Sonic.net business account
2) Address is listed as Apollo Way, not Great Oaks BL
3) My name is not associated with the number

I have e-mailed the Sonic netops group to demand resolution of this matter by end-of-week.
I'm speaking with a member of Cox's porting group to resolve the situation. I'll be reaching out as soon as I have some more information for you.
familysullivan wrote:I am new to Sonic and am thinking about porting my telephone number in but reading people having problems porting their number out.
You shouldn't have any problems porting out as there wouldn't be any involvement with XO and our porting group would have more direct involvement.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by pstrasma » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:15 am
As this matter continues to be unresolved, I have filed an FCC complaint. The problem appears to be with XO Communications continuing to reject the port. Unfortunately, while Sonic.net has been friendly and helpful they have not taken accountability for resolving the issue with their intermediary.
18 posts Page 1 of 2