Process to port a number out of sonic

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
18 posts Page 2 of 2
by pstrasma » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 pm
I'm pleased to report that my port has finally processed after 4 months of hassle, Sonic formally responded to my FCC complaint resulting in it being served to Cox instead. Shortly thereafter I was cc:ed on a Sonic e-mail request to XO communications and and an XO response with specific instructions for Cox complete a manual port request.
by tamino » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:19 pm
For what it's worth -- I didn't have any trouble porting my number out, this past week.

I used my own name and address; this was per a discussion with a Sonic support person, who didn't know anything about the Apollo Way or Great Oaks addresses and didn't have anything much they could tell me other than "it should work fine".

Well -- turned out, it did work fine! No hassles or problems. Just figured I'd add my data point here. If you're not sure what address to use, maybe try your own; it might be just fine.
by philwong » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:33 pm
I filled out my cell phone carrier port in page this past Friday evening and first thing on Tuesday my number was ported in. So thank you Sonic for a quick, painless and efficient process! I used my exact name and billing address on my account. I called Sonic about a week in advance to inquire about the procedure.
by brandonc » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:53 pm
philwong wrote:I filled out my cell phone carrier port in page this past Friday evening and first thing on Tuesday my number was ported in. So thank you Sonic for a quick, painless and efficient process! I used my exact name and billing address on my account. I called Sonic about a week in advance to inquire about the procedure.
You're welcome and I'm glad to hear the number port process was quick and painless!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by gsolberg » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am
Posting my experience here because it was confusing at first but ultimately worked out without a hitch.

Porting my number from Sonic to T-Mobile I had to convince the T-Mobile rep to use my email address for the account number. We entered 0000 for the PIN. It may have helped that my name/address/email was the same on both Sonic Voice and T-Mobile accounts.

Apparently the T-Mobile process only allows for an account number and PIN, so you have to sort of force the round peg into the square hole.
by poodlebug » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:37 am
Has anything changed in what sounds like a difficult process? Planning to do 5his soon as Sonic Plans don't offer value to me.
gsolberg wrote:Posting my experience here because it was confusing at first but ultimately worked out without a hitch.

Porting my number from Sonic to T-Mobile I had to convince the T-Mobile rep to use my email address for the account number. We entered 0000 for the PIN. It may have helped that my name/address/email was the same on both Sonic Voice and T-Mobile accounts.

Apparently the T-Mobile process only allows for an account number and PIN, so you have to sort of force the round peg into the square hole.
by brandonc » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:03 am
familysullivan wrote:I am new to Sonic and am thinking about porting my telephone number in but reading people having problems porting their number out.
Questions:
When you joined Sonic did you port a telephone number in or did Sonic give you a telephone number?

Second based on the above question, if you had a telephone number in your name that got ported in, are you now finding porting out that it is under Sonic's name?

I seems to me that if Sonic gave you a telephone number when you started and it is under their name it would be hard to port out, but if it was a telephone number that you went into Sonic with and the name got changed to Sonic that would be a different story.
We give all our customers with voice service a working phone number upon installation. However, you can port a phone number in at any time and it would still belong to you, in the sense that it is tied to your name/address and can be transferred to other carriers whenever you want to.

For porting numbers away from Sonic, it depends on the carrier that you are transferring the phone number to. With some carriers, they just need to verify the account holders full name and address, but some require a PIN number to complete. Sonic doesn't utilize pin numbers for port outs, so in those cases you can provide them with 2260 and if that doesn't work 0000 should suffice.

This is usually common when porting to cell phone carriers like T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.

For some of our older Fusion customers/numbers, the phone number might actually be owned by X.O Communications and not Sonic, which leads to the issues/confusion with transferring the number away due to the authentication information needed differing than the normal Sonic info. However, this is no longer the case with new customers as we directly own/provide our phone numbers now.

(If anyone else reading this is an long time customer with an X.O Communications owned number, you'll want to provide this address instead of your name/address) :

" Name : Sonic net Inc.
Address : 11 Great Oaks BL, San Jose, CA 95119"

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Sonic
by brandonc » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:06 am
Due to the influx of recent inquiries regarding the number port process, it led me to notice the lack of any written guides/instructions we have for customers on this process.

To hopefully help streamline the process for future customers and put all the information in one place, I went ahead and created a wiki article explaining the number porting process in-depth.

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... from-Sonic

I hope this helps! If anyone has any questions that aren't addressed in the article, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Sonic
18 posts Page 2 of 2