Internet + Phone package backfires

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by NotHappyCustomer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:04 am
When I signed up for Sonic, I was told the sales that I do not need a phone service. We all use cellphones these days. However, she told me the phone service was free, so I was like fine, just include it. I am happy to pay $40/month for just internet. But when I got my bill, about $13 is related to phone taxes. When I called customer support to remove the phone service, they told me it's part of the package and they cannot remove it.

I believe Sonic offers phone service as part of the package to compete with Comcast double play, and to make their customers happy. People like me are willing pay full $40 for just the internet. Now why would Sonic stack a service on top just to punish the customer. Sonic gets 0 revenue from all the phone taxes. So when I request to remove the phone service, why can't you just remove it? Sonic thinks they're making people happy by offering phone service along with internet. This is obviously not the case for me. I do not need your phone service. I do not want to pay for the taxes. I am happy to pay FULL $40/month for your internet.
by mike.perlas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:31 am
Good morning!

I apologize for the miscommunication. The phone service is not free, it is packaged regardless of usage. Our pricing is very competitive despite all of this. Many customers and employees consider this pricing to be so competitive that the phone service is often seen as a bonus. This definitely sounds like poor verbiage on our team member's part.

Again, I am sorry this was illustrated to you in an incorrect fashion. At this time the phone service, taxes and fees are bundled and we are unable to accommodate otherwise.
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 am
Let me clarify, the weren't any misrepresentation from the sales. What I am not happy with is this "one size fit all" concept. This not only does not provide me any benefit but causes me to pay extra every month. Why can't you just charge me $10 extra to data so that it's $40/month for data alone. There's no loss in revenue on Sonic side. And for the customer, he won't have to pay all those taxes for a phone service that have absolutely no benefit.

Also, I think it's extremely easy to accommodate this problem on your end. Just... take... it... off.
by slowfox98 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:42 am
I got my first bill for Sonic service. NOT HAPPY!!!! I contacted billing to make sure everything was correct . I asked and they confirmed that I was having pay $8 in taxes because of the "voice phone line" that I too discovered was not included along with the $40 for everything quote. I already had phone service (VoIP) that, I'm extremely happy with and costs me less than $12 per year including all taxes which is why I did not want Sonic's phone service.

When I initially signed up, expressed interest in, and request Sonic it was simply for the internet. Then when it came time to put money down because Sonic would be going live in my neighborhood the website now said that I would be getting internet and phone off $40. Say what??? I had no option to opt out of the phone service portion, so i figured they bundled it because it was a way they could make a profit, and I understand every business needs to make a profit! I figured that it would be like the traditional VoIP that I currently had, and still have, and the taxes would be minimal. The install date came and installation went well The tech ended up disconnecting Sonic's phone service at the box because it took out my back-wiring of my current VoIP service. No offense I prefer my current VoIP service to Sonics.

With that said lets agree that the voice service is VoIP and not old school hard line voice service. My current VoIP doesn't charge $8+ in taxes per month which is one of the many reasons I have them, not to mention a nice customization of blacklists! I'm fine with paying for VoIP, but not the voice line taxes (state and federal). I do not understand why Sonic charges them while my other service does not.

Let me be very clear. I am happy to pay $40 for the internet service and taxes related to the internet service alone. I m even okay with paying the $10 rental fee for the router/access. But I can not believe that collecting taxes for the state and federal government helps any company, Sonic too, make money. Simply because Sonic must then employee individuals to make sure that the money is collected and then sent to the appropriate places in the government. Sonic must also retain lawyers and accountants to protect themselves from the government coming back and claiming that Sonic didn't pay all of the tax money forward. Not to mention the salary and benefits afforded these employees. My point is simply don't charge me for a service that I don't want or use, even the big cable and other IP providers get this! Please allow me to pay for only the services I use and request, please unbundle the internet and phone! You don't force me to use Dish as a content provider, please don't force me to use your phone service!
by GoGoMama » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:01 pm
Easy to fix your problem - If you don't like what you are getting, then switch to another service. Easy Peasy.
by Easy Peasy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:17 pm
Hey, GoGoMama do you like Donald Trump? No? Easy to fix your problem - If you don't like what you are getting, GTFO. Easy Peasy.
by rdrawsky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 am
I feel the same way. I picked sonic because I liked that their prices were competitive and that they have that personal tech feel.

The pricing doesn't look competitive any more when you look at the bundle. VOIP is accessible and cheap , as sonic knows, as they offer it. The big boys are stepping on each other to give away free or close to free services, and VOIP solutions that try to tether you to the home are destined to whither. There are quality full service options out there.

So, 50 MBit for ~$90 all-in doesn't look appealing compared to $80 all-in for 100MBit..

Based on the pricing break down, Sonic could be competitive if they unbundled the phone, and allowed user to own the equipment.

Cut the (other) cord.. :)

I'm sad to say that I am putting in place what I need to change providers - I am going to try some voip services,and if I find it a valid replacement, I'll likely be moving on. I love supporting the up and comer, especially given the small feel, and the professionalism and service; I do not love paying this premium for it, and forcing fees for things I don't want just doesn't make me feel good.

I'll be paying close attention to Sonic's offerings!

go sonic!
by dcwangmit01 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:22 pm
NotHappyCustomer wrote:When I signed up for Sonic, I was told the sales that I do not need a phone service. We all use cellphones these days. However, she told me the phone service was free, so I was like fine, just include it. I am happy to pay $40/month for just internet. But when I got my bill, about $13 is related to phone taxes. When I called customer support to remove the phone service, they told me it's part of the package and they cannot remove it.

I believe Sonic offers phone service as part of the package to compete with Comcast double play, and to make their customers happy. People like me are willing pay full $40 for just the internet. Now why would Sonic stack a service on top just to punish the customer. Sonic gets 0 revenue from all the phone taxes. So when I request to remove the phone service, why can't you just remove it? Sonic thinks they're making people happy by offering phone service along with internet. This is obviously not the case for me. I do not need your phone service. I do not want to pay for the taxes. I am happy to pay FULL $40/month for your internet.
Yeah. I totally agree. Sonic gets $0 revenue from the bundled phone service. Since I don't use the phone service, I'd rather not be forced to pay $12.50/month in phone-related taxes for a phone that I don't use.

In addition, being forced to rent the router doesn't make technical sense. The fiber drop presents a DHCP ethernet interface, so you can use any router that is capable of gigabit speeds.

Solving the prior-mentioned items would make Sonic hands-down the best provider in the Bay Area, rather than the best provider that I can tolerate. Paying Sonic is still better than paying Comcast.
by not saving that much » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:28 pm
Sonic, The majority of your customers could care less about home phone service and would rather save 150 bucks a year. Stop being so lame and make it an option to just use internet. Show your customers you are interested in being better.
by bluecc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm
I was also shocked when the itemized bill showed voice charge and taxes. I called Sonic and they told me there is no way to remove voice as it comes bundled. Then why do you itemize the bill with voice costing $10 and internet costing $40. Should make it clear and itemize it as voice + internet bundle for $50 then! This seems like false advertisement to me. I was also told by the rep when I first signed up that voice is optional, that I pay $40 for internet, which is the only service I am interested in. I honestly don't think I've had phone service for the past 20 years since I started using my mobile phone! Seriously considering going back to another internet service provider!
15 posts Page 1 of 2