VOIP line is getting interference.

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by aliikane » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 pm
I have a VOIP line with Sonic. Occasional calls get a lot of interference where you cannot hear the person on the other line. Pretty positive it is not the actual telephone line running to the box because it was installed on good quality CAT6 cable with no splices.

Any solutions to why there is interference?
by miken » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 pm
aliikane wrote:I have a VOIP line with Sonic. Occasional calls get a lot of interference where you cannot hear the person on the other line. Pretty positive it is not the actual telephone line running to the box because it was installed on good quality CAT6 cable with no splices.

Any solutions to why there is interference?
A first good step would be to unplug the power from the little ATA phone box for a full minute and let it reboot. If issues continue, try using the pin reset on the back of the device. If neither of those work, it may be time to give our support a call to investigate equipment and intermittent connectivity.

You didn't mention anything about intermittent Internet connection, but if you've noticed anything like that, it may indicate an issue unrelated to the phone adapter.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 pm
miken wrote: A first good step would be to unplug the power from the little ATA phone box for a full minute and let it reboot. If issues continue, try using the pin reset on the back of the device. If neither of those work, it may be time to give our support a call to investigate equipment and intermittent connectivity.
Don't hit the rest pin unless you want phone service to be unavailable until support resets the ATA box!

Anyone else have really poor VoIP experiences? My phone service is unusable because of the choppy audio on both sides. Unplugging and plugging the ATA box back in might fix things for a while, but the problem comes back very quickly. Internet's fine and Skype works well, but the phone service seems broken.
by dherr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:38 pm
If you have not yet tried, switch to the other available codec. May not be an option if this is gig service.
by Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:20 pm
Hrm, I don't see SIP options in the Comm Portal. Maybe it's because I don't have Ascension enabled? In any case, I switched to iLBC from G.279 through the IVR interface of the ATA. I don't know if that will help, but I'll monitor the situation. I'll switch to PCM (G.211) if it doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion, dherr!
by Help » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:46 pm
I tried everything, but nothing works. I hear the other side fine, but they can't hear me. They say I'm choppy.
by sonic guest » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:03 pm
How many physical telephones do you have connected to your ATA? How many telephone RJ-11 jacks do you have in your house and how many are connected? Are your telephone lines all daisy-chained or are they in a star configuration?

Try only connect one phone to your NID, and if possible disconnect all other lines, to see if your internal wiring is the problem.
by Help » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm
Just one phone connected to the Grandstream ATA. I ran new CAT3 to the Pace, and that's the only thing on the line. Nothing wrong with Internet - Skype works perfectly. VoIP didn't use to be this bad.
by sonic guest » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm
Try connecting the phone directly into the ATA using a normal phone cord and not your cat3 cable. If you have another phone try it instead of your current one. If you've made any changes to your ATA settings at members.sonic.net/voice the interface will tell you (it's in the Comm Portal widget > Settings [Devices, set keys]; all non-standard settings will have a Reset button to their right). Reset them to default followed by a power cycle of your ATA. If you still have issues, it's time to call Sonic and tell him how you've isolated your house wiring and phone from the problem.
by Help » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 pm
Thanks! My phone is connected to the ATA directly using a clean phone cable. I had old wiring inside the house and no NID, so I patched a new CAT3 cable from the demarc posts directly to the the wall jack that the Pace is plugged into with nothing else attached. I did this before I upgraded to FTTN. Skype and Hangouts work fine, and Netflix works great, so it's not my Internet connection. The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the phone, but it doesn't seem like it's my phone because people tell me sometimes I sound choppy and sometimes I sound like a robot or on fast-forward.

Sonic VoIP was fine for a while, and it still is sometimes, but when I called Sonic, the support rep told me they've been hearing about poor quality from other people too and they are looking into it, but nothing improved. I don't know if calling will do any good. I've never touched any of the settings on the members portal.
13 posts Page 1 of 2