tech support knows VOIP unreliable--no solution

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
41 posts Page 3 of 5
by sonicwasOK » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:06 pm
Thanks to Mike N. from Sonic for responding to a customer issue. In the mean time, I had called billing, since I was effectively being double billed for having my reliable Fusion phone line up while Sonic was trying to fix (for weeks now) a known problem with their FTTN/VOIP service.

The billing department listened to my situation and went back to supervisors to get an update. I was then advised to cancel FTTN and go back to a reliable POTS line with failing DSL. I had been advised by Sonic to upgrade to FTTN because the DSL line was very unstable and obviously failing. They said they'd refund the FTTN charges since install. I was dumbfounded. Sonic seems overwhelmed to provide internet/VOIP.

Since I can't get usable DSL from Sonic+ATT anymore, and FTTN/VOIP seems beyond them, I'm going to recommend to people I know that they look for bare internet and if they need a VOIP phone then find a cheap VOIP provider. That combo out here would be $10-20/month cheaper while not being locked into phone service from a particularly provider.
by rmragsdale » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:37 pm
I have the ATT FTTN service.

While talking, the line just goes dead and the ATA's right LED blinks. It's happened about 4-5 times in the last few years, but I don't use the phone that much. Today it happened again and I just waited to see if the ATA would reestablish the connection by itself. After 1/2 hr I power cycled it and it reconnected. It seems there are two problems...the ATA disconnecting and the ATA not reconnecting. I'm not sure it would ever reconnect on its own. I hope Sonic can get the problem corrected. VERY AGGRAVATING.
by mullencarol » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:47 pm
I can call out, but no one can call in. Rebooting the router doesn't help. Has anyone a solution? I have Sonic Fusion.
by Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 pm
I get a call on the 23rd and they pushed out a new firmware. I couldn't talk more than 4-5 seconds at a time on Thanksgiving without continual dropoutS and people asking me if I can hear the phone lagging. Today, I made several calls and the line goes dead.

Call sonic and I get someone talking to me in circles who knows there's a problem and they're working on it. He keeps asking me the same questions over and over. I finally tell him I don't want to talk to him anymore.

WHEN THE HELL IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?
by tonyquan68 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:53 pm
I noticed at https://corp.sonic.net/status/ that there's a maintenance planned for tonight for the FTTN ATA adapters. It reads as follows:

Beginning tonight at 11pm I will be upgrading config for all ATA’s for FTTN customers. This will cause the ATA to be temporarily unavailable as it upgrades for about 5-10 minutes. The upgrade process will not initiate if you are on a call at that time, so there should not be any dropped calls. ATA’s check their config every hour so this process should not start until midnight.

Thank you
-Brandon

Could Brandon (or another Sonic employee) explain if this is perhaps an attempt to either debug or address this issue? Or if not, what specifically is being changed?
by sonicwasOK » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:59 pm
Another let down with Sonic. I spoke with their billing dept and got a supervisor call back. Due to the unreliable VOIP service after my recent "upgrade" to FTTN, I had asked that the existing line be kept active until they could get VOIP to work properly. So they charged me for delivering POTS with failing/very unstable DSL at 0.8Mbps AND FTTN with VOIP that they know is not working correctly. Billing agreed to turn down the old POTS line and credit me for the Fusion charges. I figured, OK, if they can't get VOIP working, there are other providers at $10/month or less that can provide VOIP. Stop double billing me for poor service on 2 systems.

I checked my billing history and guess what, no credit. Now I have to waste more time calling Sonic. I also cannot trust anything they tell me anymore.

I also saw here that there would be a "nonintrusive" maintenance tonight that could make ATA's unresponsive for some time. Making my phone not work seems rather intrusive.
by miken » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:05 am
That update was to address this issue, as we believe to have found the problem. If calls and registration continue to drop, please call in to Support so that we can continue to investigate.
I checked my billing history and guess what, no credit. Now I have to waste more time calling Sonic. I also cannot trust anything they tell me anymore.
If you send me a Private Message with your username, I'd be more than happy to take a look and see what's going on.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by sonicwasOK » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm
Mike N.,

To be fair, I wanted to post that:
1) I don't seem to have had VOIP dropouts or loss of ATA registration since the upgrade push, so maybe that has fixed those problems for me.
2) Sonic billing did come through on giving a credit for the double billing I had since FTTN VOIP wasn't reliable and I didn't have Fusion turned down while that was happening so I could have reliable phone service.

It took a lot longer than expected for both to happen and a lot more giving feedback than it should have taken to get Sonic to take care of these problems, but I wanted to let people know that they did take some actions to try to fix things.
by Craig » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm
Another FTTN VOIP user with problems. [Currently waiting for a new ATA to arrive to see if that fixes it].

What I find most annoying tho is even if I decide to re-activate my POTS line thru the local telco so I can have reliable phone service, I still have to pay Sonic to rent the ATA adapter. What Sonic really should to do is offer a FTTN + POTS package. When I had DSL they offered such a package. I want a real phone line, even at additional cost, even without free long distance and voicemail and all call waiting, etc would be fine.
by johnsinternet12 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 pm
Common problems here. I've had virtually no VOIP service for the past couple of months and continue to
pay for it. I've even tried to employ technical support via email to no avail.

Sham of a service. I will be cancelling soon.

Worst VOIP I've ever had.

Stay away and do not be fooled by platitudes if you are considering this company.

Had 10x the reliabity from the big bell.
41 posts Page 3 of 5