tech support knows VOIP unreliable--no solution

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
41 posts Page 2 of 5
by Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:47 pm
We don't enable voice mail but we also get the email for VMs if we don't answer. The issue is my parents don't use email at all so that feature is of no use to them.
by brooklynkid » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:57 am
Been having the same drop outs as everyone else. Called tech support several times and they do know it's a problem. Called them this morning as I couldn't dial out or receive calls. Finally found someone that had some info.

Seems AT&T pushed a firmware out on our FTTN modems that is incompatible with the Sonic Voip. They're pretty close to solving a firmware upgrade to the ATA.

This jives with my experience as there was a major firmware upgrade in Sept on the modem and I was out of internet service for 2 days. That's about the time afterward I started having problems. Had an AT&T tech come out. Very professional and informative. Gave me his card and told me not to bother calling anyone except him if I had an internet connectivity problem.

As far as reliable voice service? I use my landline alot because cell service sucks by me. AT&T pots would suck through the years so it's kind of unfair to gang up on Sonic service. Get over it. There were times I'd keep getting calls for someone that didn't exist in my house hold. Kept telling them they had the wrong number. Till the day I called my house and the line was dead from my cell phone. Some AT&T jughead pulled my lines at the CO to use for someone else's lines because they were having problems.

When it rains? All bets are off with AT&T! Don't even get me on a rant with the electric company.

I don't work for Sonic but I'll be damned to throw them under the bus. They're a small outfit that does provide great service and product. I'd rather deal with their growing pains than deal with a monopolistic puke business that has politicians in their back pocket.

I work for myself and support other small business and take any problem with a grain of salt and they in turn take care of me. Now the big guys? I take NO CRAP from them!!!
by sonicwasOK » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 pm
"Seems AT&T pushed a firmware out on our FTTN modems that is incompatible with the Sonic Voip. They're pretty close to solving a firmware upgrade to the ATA.

"This jives with my experience as there was a major firmware upgrade in Sept on the modem and I was out of internet service for 2 days. That's about the time afterward I started having problems. Had an AT&T tech come out. Very professional and informative. Gave me his card and told me not to bother calling anyone except him if I had an internet connectivity problem."

Great. Now I know that Sonic+ATT can have my internet and phone service go out for 2 days due to firmware upgrades. I'd get to schedule a time slot and waste 4 hours or so to get Sonic+ATT to provide what I'm paying for. Maybe Sonic should test the hardware they make us rent to see if it's compatible with planned firmware upgrades. Maybe they're the ones throwing someone (their customers) under the bus. I wouldn't be so harsh as to say that. I think they are just don't have a handle on how to provide good service over FTTN.
by Smell_the_coffee » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:56 pm
sonicwasOK wrote: Maybe Sonic should test the hardware they make us rent to see if it's compatible with planned firmware upgrades.
Do you realize how idiotic that statement is? Sonic is supposed to know what AT&T is going to do IN THE FUTURE and test these firmware upgrades that don't exist yet on the hardware they bought 6 months ago?

Sorry, but it's the company that rolls out a software upgrade that breaks things that is ALWAYS at fault.
by Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:38 am
Sorry, but it's the company that rolls out a software upgrade that breaks things that is ALWAYS at fault.
Or maybe "It's the company that I'm paying money to is ALWAYS at fault."

AT&T doesn't owe me anything: I'm not their customer; as long as they keep cashing the checks, Sonic owes me what I'm paying them for.
by sonicwasOK » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:18 pm
I'm sorry, but I'm not an idiot and it would be better if posters didn't engage in attacking other posters.

Sonic has a responsibility to provide the service they are selling. If Sonic has not negotiated with AT&T to receive notice of firmware upgrades and to test those upgrades with the ATA hardware they force their customers to rent, that is a failure on their part.

I have previously directly asked Sonic what the terms of QoS (Quality of Service) from AT&T are and was told by tech support that they didn't know. Maybe it was my mistake to trust Sonic to provide reliable service.

Again, Sonic has the ATA hardware, I would expect that they can have the modems AT&T specifies and test it all. From what Sonic and customers say, this is not some one in a million weird failure but something that happens often enough to troubleshoot with out too much trouble. Sonic should fix it and fix it quickly.

Maybe Dane Jasper can weigh in here and clarify what customers can expect.
by snowed » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:40 pm
I've been a sonic customer for over a year. I couldn't wait to get away from AT&T. I have sung Sonic's praises and have signed up 2 other friends. In the past two months, I have seen customer service take a nose dive, in direct proportion to the explosion of Sonic advertising and marketing efforts.
(1) I regularly wait 20-30 minutes for IT to call me back. Unacceptable. If the infrastructure is not in place to handle your existing customers' issues--and clearly it isn't--why are you going nuts trying to get as many new customers as fast as you can sign them up?
(2) I now receive marketing snail mail from Sonic 2-3x/wk, telling me about their services and that I should sign up. Last week, I received 3 flyers and one letter in my mailbox ON THE SAME DAY. All of them were addressed to Current Resident. Seriously? As a customer, I've been sending monthly checks -- with my name on them -- to Sonic for more than a year, but Sonic can't be bothered to cross-reference their mailing list to make sure they are not wasting paper and postage sending mailings to their existing customers?
(3) Ive held off upgrading to fiber optic because of comments I was reading in the forums. Now, with comments on here, I'm reconsidering. I work from home some days and I can't afford to have no service! I wonder if Dane even reads the forums anymore.
by sonicwasOK » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 pm
OK. So it's been a week since my last post. Sonic hasn't provided any update on the VOIP dropped calls problem, either here or via email to my Sonic web mail, after phone calls to tech support.

Dane Jasper hasn't commented here in the forums on this problem.

The Sonic I signed up with years ago appears to be gone.
by miken » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 am
sonicwasOK wrote:OK. So it's been a week since my last post. Sonic hasn't provided any update on the VOIP dropped calls problem, either here or via email to my Sonic web mail, after phone calls to tech support.
We are working hard on a fix for this issue. Unfortunately, it's only affecting a small minority of customers and seems to be happening sporadically, making it more difficult to find the problem. If anyone is able to get this issue to occur reliably, please send me a private message. We're looking at setting up a packet capture to get more information on what's causing the loss of registration.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by scarab@sonic.net » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 am
I couldn't call out by landline yesterday at 1600, 11-22-16. Didn't notice the blinking green light on the phone transfer box next to the modem until late. Checked both phones and no soap. I will call service this
morning and hope to get some satisfaction. First problem in a year of Fusion service. At 77, I just got a cell phone, with which I struggle, but glad it's there. I have no help or solutions for anyone, just needed to vent. A peaceful Thanksgiving to you all.
scarab.
41 posts Page 2 of 5